On the River with JagOne, 20Nov13


TR by JagOne
Launch point; Noosa Lions Park
Fishing; Noosa River
Conditions; Breezy


When I arrived, I was apprehensive about the breeze as all the yachties were out in force. Fortunately, it did abate nicely by about 6.00pm. I'd been in touch with Matt [cybertech] who has been hitting the river also, but didn't see him and no response on the radio.
                                   
I launched from the Lion's park at 5.45 and headed to the wood's bay area towing a gold bomber and a Manns s10+. The Manns is my favourite for flattie as it runs 2mtrs deep which is great for bumping over sand flats. About 70mtrs from Ricky's the Manns went off and I expected my first flattie. Happily, it turned out to be a nice jack.
                           
 photo noosariver201113700x406_zps41710742.jpg

The tide was still running out a little so I headed for the bar which is a trick in the half light when you haven't been there for a while. Thank god for sounders. I took a keeper flattie on the way on the bomber and then started doing circuits out off the inner end of the rock wall. There was a sandbar which had formed across the river and it was negating the incoming swell. This then spilled over into a 2-3mtr deep area that slowly shallowed out to the sand flats. The tidal flow was nonexistent in this area and it was quite comfortable.
                                    
On the first lap the bomber went off with a really good GT which I subsequently lost at the yak. I had gaffed him and a treble had embedded itself through my sea anchor running cord  and in the ensuing struggle, the fish freed itself from the trebles and the gaff. Anyway, I took off on another lap and the bigger flattie scoffed the bomber and I didn't make the same mistake with him.                                    

I then headed back towards town and pulled a dreaded hairtail on the way. After a quiet lap of the Sound I called it quits at 10.00pm as my hips and butt were seizing up from lack of kayaking practice.
As you can see by the pics, the Manns is showing signs of wear, plus the two fish of the day.

 photo noosariver2201113700x494_zps72230298.jpg
Cheers
See you on the water
Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment