Feeding fish, snaps and jealousy - 09Nov13

TR by Redwood

Trip date: 9 November 2013
Participants: Redwood
Launch Site:  Middle Groyne
Destination:  JS
Conditions:  Wind 5-8 knots, swell 0.5 - 1.5 m, mild current to the North


I arrived at the MG car park at about 4.30am with no sign of other yakkers so looked like I was going solo. The conditions looked messy and the swell quite big compared to the prediction, but still perfectly doable, so it was on--more fish for me.

Gold Bomber ready for take-off
I headed out to JS trolling a red and white HLP which gained no attention. The swell was big and close together and the going was a bit tough. A few stinky's passed me on the way and a couple stopped at JS, so looked like I'd have some stinky company. Once at JS I trolled the HLP around for a bit but my heart wasn't in it as I was dreaming of big old Grassy's and Snapper.

The one stinky was a few hundred off the pinnacles, the other with divers, right on the mark. I snuggled in between them and set up a prawn drift as Tunny had said prawns and softies saw the most action the previous day. The first prawn was smashed before it hit the bottom with the bail arm still open so I lost that one. The second disappeared without trace and the third got hooked up on the reef. I was on my way back to my slot for another go when the stinky next to me hooked up with something serious, I could hear the reel screaming. I watched for 10 minutes while he landed a very nice Spanish. I was jealous. He got it anchored and on a floated pillie. A stinky friend of mine wondered if the yakkers used balloons and come to think of it I haven't seen any do it, so perhaps something to consider.

I continued with a few more prawn drifts but was getting zero action. Mr Spaniard, who most likely was also getting no action, decided to start trolling; hey dude, that's my wave! That was my cue to move off to a mark I had in the GPS North of the pinnacles, which was far enough away that I could avoid getting gassed and the fish wouldn't be spooked. I also decided to switch to squid baits.

On the first drift I hooked up and landed a 43cm Snapper. On the second I hooked a 1m shark who managed to pull a manoeuvre boat side and he bit himself off. The next couple had excellent bites but I was unable to hookup. With the next I landed a 39cm Snapper.

43cm Snapper on squid bait
39cm Snapper on squid bait
By now it was 9.30am and the swell had flattened out nicely. I was pretty sure if I stayed I'd be able to land more, but I had already puked twice and the slimy green fingers of motion sickness had me firmly in its grasp, so I decide to pull the pin and head back. I puked again on the way back and my HLP was again untouched. The surf return was easy.

43 and 39cm Snapper

During the throws of motion sickness, besides thinking you'd rather be dead, you do think that perhaps you'll chuck it all in; I plead temporary insanity, I'll be back.

3 comments:

  1. Nice report, Tim. I like your writing style and admire your tenacity when afflicted with mal-de-mer. Hope the family enjoy the snapper. Kev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev. High praise indeed from a genuine word smith.

      Redwood

      Delete
  2. well done Tim - nice Snapper
    cheers
    Tunny

    ReplyDelete