River session reaches quota Sat 16Nov13

TR by eyetag

Wind: 10 knot N then S change 10 knot
Current: Run out tide
Launch Point: Noosa Heads Lions Park
Participants: Eyetag

After paddling in Laguna Bay for almost 4 hours yesterday morning without a touch I wasn't happy with my quota for the week so after a quick look at the tide chart I decided to give the river a try. I arrived at Ricky's around 9.pm to find some surface action which turned out to be small Bigeye Trevally.


Not happy with the size I headed to the river mouth and on arrival my Gold Bomber got smashed,a couple of minutes later I landed a nice Bigeye and for the next 90 minutes they kept coming aboard,around 15 of them and I kept 5 all between 40 and 50cm,until the current picked up and the danger of being taken across the bar by a fish got the better of me.


I paddled back to Ricky's and did a few drifts with Gladiator prawns,which produced Bigeyes,a nice Jack and on the return trolls the dreaded Hairtail. Then after about 4 hours in the saddle I was satisfied with my quota so home I went.

A Hairtail's mouth is one place you don't want to put your hands.

4 comments:

  1. Nice catch Ian. Look forward to some night river fishing when I head up in a few weeks time. Beejay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice catch Ian. Good to know night fishing is still producing the goods. Beejay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps those hair tails are grisly, the teeth will mark a stainless steel blade easily as you may well know. I have heard they are a fair table fish, not that I have tried or kept any.

    ReplyDelete