Another winter Longtail, 22Aug12

TR by Richmond
Wind: Variable, initially S-SSW ~5k, then swinging S-SSE-SE and increasing to ~8k.
Current : SW to NE ~1k at Lt Halls Reef
Launch Point : Middle groyne
Participants : Richmond

I got to Middle Groyne at 5.15am ready for a 5.30am launch. Pedro was out past the shark nets when I checked conditions, heading for Sunshine Reef. My plan was to troll in close to the beach, head out to Little Halls Reef, then on to Halls Reef. Wet bum launch for me today, dead low tide with the small swell breaking on that ever present sand bank 10 metres from the end of the wall.

I was hoping to catch an early season Cobia today, so I put on a 20+ Gold Killalure deep diving minnow. I also covered the Longtail scenario where I trolled a Threadybuster soft vibe. One of either fish would do me.

Conditions were perfect. I stopped for a sunrise pic on the way along the beach near the first cutting.
sunrise
When I was due west of Little Halls Reef, I turned and headed east to troll over the top of the reef and the area around it. There was a bit of bait rippling the surface and bait down below on the sounder. I trolled over the bait and got a strike. Not much of a strike I might add, no line was being taken from the reel, the ratchet was silent. I could feel little headshakes through the line, I predicted Snapper. Yep, I was right, bang on 35cm, it was his lucky day.

just legal squire
I trolled around for a bit longer at LH's to no avail. I decided to head for Halls Reef. There was no bird activity except for a few Gannets diving here and there, no visible tuna bustups. But, there was a lot of bait on Halls Reef.

screen shot
I threw out the threadybuster and let it sink. I had a good hit as it was sinking but sadly, pulled the hooks on what would have been a good fish. I kept at it, looking for the bait and dropping my lure into it. I caught a Honeycomb Cod, some Moses Perch and a tiny Tailor. I think that's what the bait was, small Tailor about 20cm long as I got one on Little Halls as well.
I then decided to get back to my plan and troll. I'm glad I did as the threadybuster took a solid hit. Line screamed off the 4000 size threadline as the braid cut through the water causing a rooster tail which is always great to see. I don't know why I persist in trolling 2 lures. You guessed it, major tangle! After sorting that mess out and cursing to whoever would listen, I got down to fighting this fish. Typical Longtail fight, hard, deep circle work. I subdued him in pretty quick time and had a nice Longy on deck. (I could here my missus from home saying "not another bloody tuna"!)

longy on deck
It went 107cm on the lie detector.

107 on mat
I then went back to Little Halls and played around for a bit. I met up with Sunshiner as he was a late starter heading to Halls Reef. No other action was encountered so I headed for Middle Groyne to a full tide landing. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment