Spooled and Spanished at the Boneyards - 28Mar2015

TR by Scatter
Trip date: 28 Mar 2015
Participants: Redwood, Scatter
Launch Site:  [enter data]
Conditions: water 26 degrees, 1-2m swell, 1-2knt to north current, wind SE @10kn early dropping out over the course of the morning, some rain

Surface action: Free jumping tuna and scattered bustups throughout the day
Keen Angler Program: no frames donated



Redwood and I headed up the beach at first light yesterday to try and redeem ourselves after our role as passengers on the Sunny Coast team at Adder. The surf wasn't too bad and we both made it out without incident. Once on the water we saw Tarzan who said he was being pestered by mack tuna which were mangling his spanish rigs. We trolled South and I had a slimy bitten in half without a hookup, despite the fact the bite was about an inch above the stinger and managed to kink the wire. 

Redwood looking south on lumpy water


Lots of action on the sounder


As the day wore on we started to see tuna free jumping and Tim reported he saw both longtails and yellowfin among them. I had a white SP out the back and as I was paddling quickly to try to catch a bustup it was absolutely monstered. The first run of this fish was lightning and when I upped the drag whatever it was replied by going even faster! I've never been spooled before but the 4000 stradic was no match for this train.

I was now down to just the overhead and guessed from the last hookup that the fish might like speed. The next time a bustup occurred it was directly behind me and I immediately put the hammer down and was rewarded with a hookup on the slimie. Another howling run followed but I was much better prepared on this outfit and after about 5 minutes I had a solid Spaniard at the gaff. Not much else to report; Redwood didn't get a touch on his slimey and Tarzan we think only picked up the Mac Tuna. The rain closed in and we hit the beach just before 10. Feels good to be back on the board, after two donuts in the AKS comps I was low on mojo.

Scatter reels in a nice Spanish after a short tussle
Scatter with his Spaniard
Mmm, raw Spanish with coriander, chilli and coconut milk - it's the bomb (thanks for the recipe Ido)

No comments:

Post a Comment