Getting monstered. 26Mar15

TR by sunshiner


Wind: NW less than 5 knots before 8:00am, then strengthening from the north to 10-15knots
Swell: 1m E
Water temp: 27.2°C
Tides: 7:08 am : 0.68 L
Current: no significant
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Surface action: Only a couple of minor bustups at Halls Reef, just after sunrise
Participants: diesel, sunshiner
Keen Angler Program: missed out today!

Launch was a little trickier than I expected but we still got out easily, at our planned launch time.

Jimbo's Tuesday TR had told us that Jew Shoal was likely to be quiet so diesel and I opted to try out Halls Reef, which is 5km NW from our launch point. We were aware that the wind would likely increase from the north later, giving us a tail wind component on the homeward leg. Certainly the forward leg was easy, as the wind was barely sufficient to cause a ripple on the surface.

Diesel's new ride is a Stealth Evolution 465, acquired recently (pic later). He and the boat are a lethal speed combination and this showed as he arrived at our destination around 400m before I did. The 5km paddle took me 50 minutes, trolling a HLP all the way (not a touch!).

And so we settled into our individual fishing routines. The depth at Halls Reef varies from 16m to 19m and there was one other boat, a stinky, out there. I was drifting a white SP while casting around with another, my usual technique. Not long after out arrival I noticed some terns fluttering out to the west a little so diesel and I headed over to see what the fuss was about. No way could the action be described as furious. a few small splashes could be seen briefly under the terns as they wheeled, dipped, then flew a couple of hundred metres to the next similar piece of action. I'm sure you know how frustrating for some kayak fishos this can be. We largely ignored the activity because our sonar devices showed quite a lot of bait patches and so we trusted that concentrating on this stuff might produce the goods.

Diesel was fishing with bait and, as often happens, was wiped out by something which grabbed his trailing pillie and took it home. An hour after arriving I'd not had a touch. Nevertheless, the amount of sonar screen clutter encouraged me and soon afterward my cast SP was picked up in no uncertain terms, at mid water, just after I'd cast it out. This was a screamer, with the spool rapidly emptying of 6kg braid. Thinking that this might be a longtail, I started to decrease the kayak drag on the fish by retrieving my drogue only to experience the disappointment of a slack line. Either I'd been bitten off or the strain had been too much for one of the knots. In any case my SP and jighead had been stolen. Bugger!

By around 8:30am the breeze was starting to increase, from the north as forecast and I decided to start trolling gently with the breeze toward Little Halls Reef and Middle Groyne. Diesel followed a few minutes later and passed me eventually, near the river mouth. Here my HLP went off, but the hooked fish put up no fight, swimming toward me cooperatively. I never did get to find out what it was as it spat the hook right under the yak, about 3m down. Bugger again!

Just off Middle Groyne I took the opportunity to take a pic of diesel and his new ride before he stashed his rods and gear (wisely, as it turned out).

Stealth Evolution 465 formerly owned by Sydney-based Noosa Yakker Carter Mullins, and sold through Noosa Yakkers.

The sand monster was on patrol, assisted by low tide and some occasional big waves. Being ready to go first, I confidently headed for the white water and was doing OK until I was run down by a semi-broken wave. As the GoPro video shows, the unbroken section, nearer the wall, broke on top of me just as the wave reached me. This sudden surge forced the stern around to the west and I countered by bracing on the port side. See the movie embedded below for the consequences.



No harm was done, but diesel was still out there, manoeuvering in what he didn't realize was the break zone. For a second I thought he might get away with it, but he was slammed side on by another breaking wave and the score was sand monster 2, yakkers nil. Again, all his gear was stowed and no damage occurred.

On the beach I took the opportunity to take a pic of our new brag mat.

Pity there were no fish on it, but hopefully the situation will be rectified very soon.

Kev Long
Sunshiner
Author Kayak Fishing Manual for iPad and Mac (click linked text to view)
Stealth Supalite X, yellow/orange

No comments:

Post a Comment