Some monstering. 07Sep13

TR by sunshiner, with contributions by stormin and pedro

Wind: light SW
Swell: 2m ESE
Current: none
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: cybertech, stormin, pedro, sunshiner

The swell at Middle Groyne today was a bit bigger than I'd expected, but still doable. Perhaps, as pedro said, the swell direction had changed so that it was coming more from the east.

stormin, wondering.

Anyway, noticing that the young blokes were a bit hesitant, I launched first. I held in the white water and let a few broken waves slide under the Stealth and then saw the gap and went for it. All went well but I can tell you that the old ticker was pumping hard by the time I got out the back. What a way to start a day!

I had a good view back to the beach and was happy to see pedro come out next and get a clean break also. The young blokes must have decided to have a bit of a dip because they were both a bit damp by the time they got out.

Out the back

I left first, heading for Jew Shoal. Pedro announced he'd be going to Hall's Reef, cybertech opted for Jew Shoal and stormin opted for Hall's.

I knew my foray would be brief today as I wanted to get home earlier than usual, so pulled the pin at Jew Shoal at just after 8:00 am (no action at all) and headed in, trolling slowly. The sand monster was certainly on the prowl today when I arrived off Middle Groyne just before 9:00. However it was a good day for me as I picked a nice soft roller which the Stealth gobbled up easily. I was on the beach in a trice, right way up!

Half way in, spray flying from the bow.


Contribution from stormin

I decided to launch on the east side of the groyne and managed to get out easy with out seeing any danger ahead of me. Me and Pedro stayed a bit late today at HR. Both rewarded with 50cm grassy + a just legal snap for me. I also encounter 2 unstoppables hook up one seized my light gear reel and the other one nearly took all my line out on my heavy gear despite of a tight drag. Will never know what sort of fish is it though. Headin in was ok I timed it really well but have to jump off the kayak in really shallow water before shore break do me again.

Contribution by pedro

A couple of pics below, sorry but didn't take any others.
I had a tussle with a 2.5m shark, the leader wearing through on its skin.
Stormin probably told you he had one screaming run that ended in a broken reel.






Thanks for coming along, guys
Kev Long
Sunshiner
Author Kayak Fishing Manual for iPad (click linked text to view)
Stealth Supalite X, yellow/orange

1 comment:

  1. after losing baits and not hooking up to anything by 10am i decided to head in, no luck with the fish for me today. Perhaps next time.

    cheers
    cybertech

    ReplyDelete