JS Jimbo, 27Aug13

TR by Jimbo
Launch Point: MG
Conditions: Flat and Calm
Wind: NNW
Participants: Jimbo


I dry-bum launched in semi-darkness, about 0530, in probably the lowest tide I have ever witnesses at Middle Groyne and headed straight for the Pinnacles at Jew Shoal. I was wanting to be on-site before sunrise, about 0605.

I had dispatched my first cast prawn and was setting up my trailing rod when the cast rod suddenly bent double and line was being stripped off the reel. Unfortunately by the time I had stowed the trailing rod and picked up the cast rod, whatever had taken the prawn bait had headed into a hole in the reef and I was snagged. Still, things were looking promising. I did recover the weighted hook and then reset the drift over the same spot, generally to the east of the Pinnacles aided by a fresh westerly. On about the third drift I picked up a nice snapper, about 55 cm.

Although I tried various other marks around Jew Sh and picked up three small reefies, the snapper remained my only keeper. By 0930 the sun had warmed up and the breeze had dropped making conditions on the water glorious, but the fish had gone quiet. Having had an early start I decided to head for home.

Not long after leaving the vicinity of JS my trailed Gold Bomber was taken by a bonito, about 45 cm. This was released and I continued back to MG without incident.

One thing worth noting re VHF radio comms. When only about 500m out from Middle Groyne, I was able to have a brief conversation with NY Dr Dog on VHF Ch22 who was calling from Stumers Creek at Coolum. Given that we were about 15 km apart, in a straight line mostly over land with Noosa National Park headland in between, this demonstrates the benefit and power of the Ch22 repeater on Noosa Hill. I think Ch80 and/or Ch88 are also repeated from Noosa Hill. As soon as we both went to Ch09, to clear Ch22, the Coast Guard's main operating frequency, all comms between us were lost. I'm not suggesting for one moment that NY should use Ch22 (or Ch 80 or Ch88) but it is worth noting the extended range of these channels should it be needed for emergency communications.

Jimbo

No comments:

Post a Comment