A lake to myself - Lake MacDonald 18Aug13


TR by Gemini

Participants:  Gemini
Conditions: Sunny, light-mid fresh NW breeze

I launched just after 6AM this morning onto a near glassy lake from the Hoy Road park "ramp" (a grassy slope with chunky gravel tossed over it). There was a little surface action here and there, and plenty of bird life, but no other humans to be seen. I made my way south into the weeds and lilies, casting away at all the likely spots. I had a brief grab and run from a fish early on, but he spat the hook not long into the fight. 5 minutes later, I had a fish on.



This healthy little fella went 31cm.


After releasing the fish I lapped around the south arm for a while. The weeds were thick here, and finding safe spots to cast into was hard going. The sunrise was impressive this morning as the light made its way through the steam coming off the lake, but his picture doesn't do it justice.




After a lot of weed was reeled in I decided to head north again, and slowly made my way back towards where I caught the bass.

On the opposite side of the lilies from where I caught the bass earlier I had another hookup. He ran hard under the yak and tried to hit the bottom, making me switch sides on the yak. He was quickly boated and measured in at 36cm.



This guy had a darker golden colour to him.


I continued north and had a few more casts. By this stage it was around 8am and the wind was strengthening, bringing a slight chill to the nice sunny morning I had been enjoying. I then decided that breakfast was calling, so I turned around and headed for home.



The view of Cooroy Mountain heading home.

1 comment: