Spotties Galore, 10Dec12

TR by Dugout
Wind: ESE about 5 knots
Swell: 1.5m SE
Current: 1 knot
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: Wendy, Pedro, Eyetag, Wal, Turtleboy and Dugout

Hi all,

I woke at about 4.00 am, cloudy but not too much breeze. Walked the yak down past the Reef Hotel and out in front of the 7/11 store near Hasting Street, at 4.15 am where I encountered a scrub turkey running out of the store with a packet of corn chips. It appeared to be a grab and run! A couple of other turkeys ran to the critter and tore the bag open, grabbed a cc and departed. Obviously the scrub turkeys are not keen on the cheese corn chips, but happy to have a food outlet open for them at all hours. Headed past the surf club and launched the yak.

On the water at 4.40am heading out to Jew Shoal. Pedro,Wendy and Eye Tag were near the Shoal. Turtleboy was launching from MG and heading out as well.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Wendy's launch at first light

Not many birds on the way out but they started to show up as I approached the shoal. I towed a hardbody lure on the way out but no success. Changed to pillies and slow troll. Trailed around JS and amongst the birds and had 5 hits.

I landed 4 spotties. The first was small about 67cm but the other 3 were good fish with the biggest at 93 cm. The other 2 were 82 cm and 85 cm. I am using about 30 lb line with about a 3 ft nylon leader and then a torpedo sinker and swivel. The nose of the pilchard is tied with small wire so it does not spin.

Floating pillies is also a goer but watch the small bait fish as they may chop into it before the mackerel. The mackerel are spread around but follow the birds and you will find them.

I left JS after landing 4 fish and was on the beach at 7.20am. as I like to put the fish on ice as soon as possible.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photo courtesy of Jo M.

Great morning. Thanks for the company eye Tag, Pedro, Wendy, Turtleboy and Wal.

May go on Wed weather permitting.

Regards,
Dugout

Additional photos courtesy of EyeTag and Pedro

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Our First Lady in action.  Wendy showing the boys how it's done !   Turtleboy in the background.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Oh $#!T, not the "We all live in a yellow submarine" routine again.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Possibly, a new future recruit enjoying Wendy's hospitality

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pedro bringing up the rear and waving to the crowds. We all landed safely and upright.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

EyeTag's catch.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A very happy Pedro

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pedro's biggest.  Is it a new record ?

Sorry I don't have the final spottie count. I think it was Dugout 4, Eyetag 2, Pedro and Wendy 9. I am not sure about Wal and whilst I hooked up on 6, I managed to drop them all. Luckily, Pedro popped one in my hatch whilst I wasn't watching and announced that I had caught one. Thanks mate !

Turtleboy.

2 comments:

  1. As you are all now sick of mackeral, may I come and grab a few? How do you reckon it'd be on Wednesday, in strong SE'ers? Might it be fishable?

    kayakone (trev)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys,

    Just wondering - are you all using wire trace when casting slugs or a heavy duty mono?

    ReplyDelete