Scater report, 21Dec12

TR by Scater
Swell: 1.5m from the ESE
Wind: 5kn or less for most of the morning from the North
Skies: Overcast
Participants: Jamie D, Scater

I arrived at the carpark at about 430am. When I made it down to the beach, about six yakkers were surveying the conditions on the Northern side of the groyne including Jimbo, Jaro and Stormin. Jamie D was in the process of heading out and he picked the sets well. By the time I had rigged the yak everyone had moved to the southern side in hopes of finding a way through the dumping surf. I elected to head out on the northern side and make use of whatever protection was available. I made it out wringing wet on my third attempt. As I was rigging up outside the surf zone, I watched some unsuccessful attempts and a lot of spectating from those still on the beach. No-one had made it out by the time I was ready to go so I set a course along the national park.

Soon afterwards I heard the coast guard on channel 16 reading a disclaimer to someone outside who had obviously requested a rescue. Jamie D also came over the radio to report extensive bird activity at JS. I followed the coastline out and watched some considerable swell crashing into the headlands at Tea Tree and Granite Bays. In line with earlier reports there were plenty of bait schools and birds scattered over the southern bay but nothing harassing them. I met Jamie over the shoal and we compared similar stories. Jamie kept trolling while I decided to head for the river mouth in hopes of finding some predators. Turtleboy called at this point from a stinkboat further out with much the same to tell: plenty of promising signs but nothing to show for it. (Insert by TurtleBoy - perfectly clam and glassy  conditions, plenty of fish on the sounder and one Kingfish after 4 hours of fishing out wider).

It glassed out as the morning wore on and the conditions were pretty idyllic but with a distinct lack of fishy action by the time I reached the river, I decided to call it a day. We had had no further contact from the remaining yakkers who I assume pulled the pin. I headed for MG and derigged. There was the odd big set rolling through but I picked a decent lull and enjoyed a trouble-free ride in only to be rolled in the shallows once I stopped concentrating! All in all it was a beautiful day but the fish are still waiting for something, maybe a change in the wind. Northerlies aren't working for us!

Sam (Scater)

No comments:

Post a Comment