Pedro's Xmas DIP (not), 25Dec12

Pedro's Xmas Day and Boxing Day Trip report from DIP.

Wendy and I camped the north shore Christmas day and boxing day. Christmas day was spent setting up camp and relaxing while looking at the 1.5m to 2m waves and contemplating if it was possible to launch and land.

I woke from a snooze and looked out over the water to see a small flock of birds working directly out from camp. This was the deciding factor to have a go. I decided to take Wendy's prowler packed light and was impressed with it's performance in punching over three foot of white water and after the third or fourth time I started to feel confident that I would actually make it out. Once out the back, the birds had gone so I rigged for trolling, a couple of hours later and no hits I packed down for the landing. I managed to pick a gap in the waves and made it in unscathed.

On Boxing day we headed to the western side of DIP as the waves on the open beach were still pretty big. The launch was easy and we headed around the headland and back again trolling. By this stage Wendy was ready to go in and I wanted a bit longer so we parted company (I'm glad she now has a radio). I concentrated my trolling around the bommie just off the headland as I have caught good snapper there nearly every time. On about the third lap my Spaniard special with gar did the trick and I landed a 75cm snapper. After trolling the area another twenty minutes I headed in.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Christmas Day

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
DIP west at high tide

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Launch point DIP west

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
DIP Headland

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Equals previous record.

Happy New Year and
See you on the water
Pedro


Additional Video of Pedro taking on the surf tee wah beach




Video, Narrative and Prowler kayak courtesy of Wendy.

3 comments:

  1. WOW ! Thats a great snapper Mate.

    Lovely work there .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty impressive ocean entry too. Well done. Stretch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fish and great entry - would like to have seen a video of you returning through those waves.
    Cheers Beejay.

    ReplyDelete