Windy but worth it Mon 03-Aug-2015

TR by eyetag

Wind: 15 knot N/NW then 5 knot N
Current: light S
Launch Point: Noosa North Shore
Participants: Eyetag, Pedro


I had a quick chat with Pedro on Sunday at his market stall and we thought there was a slight chance of fishing spot "X" as this was the best opportunity for the week. That evening we checked the usual weather sites and decided to go for it.
We caught the first barge across the river and headed up the beach, conditions weren't the best with a solid 15 knots of N/NW and around a metre of swell, but after the effort we had already put in we couldn't turn around so we prepared for launch. We both got out upright, although I was drenched from a shorey. Once we got clear of the back breakers we got set up. Pedro started bashing the bottom and I decided to troll a hard body as conditions were woeful and I wasn't feeling confident in the conditions. I had only travelled a short distance when I hooked up to what I thought was a Tailor but he managed to release himself. I took off again soon after I was solid to a nice fish and he also released himself 2-0 to the fish. The next fish was on a few minutes later and I landed this one. I hadn't heard from Pedro so I called him to give him the score and he said things were quiet bashing the bottom and he also had a livey out waiting eagerly for something to take it. The next 2 fish I hooked were both lost due to a split ring opening and hooks being straightened.

This happens due to bite pressure on both hooks as the line isn't strong enough to straighten split rings

Another lure change and soon after I landed number 2 with the score 5-2 and not in my favour, I gave Pedro an update and he thought it was time to troll a hard body, soon after this he had his first fish on board. We trolled for the next 2 hours waiting no more than 10 minutes between hook-ups, releasing a lot of nice fish cause our bags were full.

2 nice bags of quality eating fish

Now the wind had dropped off as did the bite, so we changed to bottom bashing, drifting for 300 metres and trolling back, Pedro got a couple of Squire on baits and a run on a livey which came back crushed, I caught 1 squire and had one screamer on the return run that busted me off after a 2 minute fight. Soon after this we headed back in both upright with grins from ear to ear.

Conditions had calmed considerably for our return

No comments:

Post a Comment