Long & Sweet - 18Apr14

TR by Jaro
Launch Point: Middle Groyne.
Conditions: Idyllic & sunny
Wind: Less than 5 knots then reducing to zero
Swell: Less than 0.5m
Current: 1.3 kph (direction?)
Participants: Soren, Aussie Stu, Jaro

We all arrived at MG car park at around 5.00am and were soon on the water wuith dry bums as there was virtually no waves to speak of. We all headed for JS and with about 1 km to go Aussie Stu radioed to say he had a strike and was fighting a pretty big fish. As Soren and I were well ahead we continued on toward JS with Aussie Stu letting us know how he was faring via radio. It was pretty obvious he had a tuna from the tell tale refusal to come up from under his yak. At last, he radioed to say he had finally boarded a nice big tuna.

After trolling around JS for a short time we settled in for some bottom fishing with me going to my favourite spot and it was not long before I had my first sweet lip (about 39cm) on board. Things got a bit quiet for a while with us sharing the reef with a lot of stink boats.

Soren and Aussie Stu were having a barren time of it. I finally had another strike and had a good fight with what turned out to be a nice big fat sweetlip of 52cm. Both sweetlips were caught using banana prawns. Somewhat later I had a another good strike which turned out to be a shark which was released.

During our fishing I took a picture of Aussie Stu with his northern bluefin tuna (longtail).

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Aussie Stu looking very pleased with himself with his longtail that I estimated to be about 110 cm long, but which was later weighed at 10.5 kg.

Soren and AussieStew headed back in at 8.30am and I followed at 9.00am. Entry was dead easy as there was no waves to speak of.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
My 52 cm sweet lip.

Another idyllic day on Laguna Bay.

Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment