Strike 3 you're Out, 17Apr13

TR by TurtleBoy with contribution at end by sunshiner

Swell: Less than 1 metre
Wind: Light from the SE
Current: 2 kph to the North
Conditions: Calm and smooth
Participants: YakFinn, Solman, Tunny, Sunshiner, Pedro, Wendy and Turtleboy


I pulled into the carpark and walked down onto the beach just as Yakfinn, Solman, Tunny and Sunshiner were heading off to Halls Reef. I quickly got my yak off the car, placed a call to Sunshiner and was ready to go. A quick count of the number of waves in the small sets and laughed as I flew over the top of  "Panno's Bar and Grill".

I started to see some bird activity from Little Halls onwards and then fish jumping as early at 1.6 klms from our central Halls Reef mark. By this stage Pedro called in to announce he and Wendy were on their way to join us at Halls. It was a pretty quick paddle at an average of 6.9 kph up to Halls assisted by the underlying current as per above. A bit tougher coming home against it !

We were all positioned across Halls and I was paddling in close proximity to Sunshine when my reel started to scream, but then it stopped. Bugger, there goes my brand new Rapala!  Sure enough something had taken the lure and wire leaving a distinctive frayed marking up the mono line. It was then that Kevin told me that he had already lost two lures during the morning.

Regrouped, I heard Sunshiner call out that he was on

 photo f83323fc-b425-447b-a46a-eaee9b7ef51b_zpsc7aacad9.jpg

and about 45 minutes later at 8.30am he landed a very nice Longtail Tuna. Strike Three and you're Out !

 photo 22addf14-0b77-433d-ab03-ce147d1158c3_zpsd4bc35f0.jpg

Photos by TurtleBoy

With the fish safely stowed, Sunshiner turned and announced he was headed for home as he had guests coming for lunch. Within 30 minutes we were all doing the same.

Whilst it was a tougher paddle home, it was a pretty easy landing by keeping to the deeper water in close by the rock wall at MG.

Its still looking pretty good for the next few days and the Tuna are still patrolling up the North Shore.

Cheers,

TurtleBoy

PS, Bragmat details to be provided later.



Contribution by sunshiner

Yeah, I was peeved today when I lost two lures on two strikes, both wired up. Line breakage possibly due to old line and/or drag which needs servicing. When I got the third strike I played him really carefully. The water was dirty and all three lures I used were very pale coloured so maybe that's why I got the hits.

Thanks for turtleboy for hanging about and taking pics. It's about time I featured in the gallery, I reckon. Here are a couple more pics taken with my camera, on the beach.

He went 102cm

Fraulein from Munchen, thanks.

Go get em, guys. Can't go tomorrow, but you may sight me down at the beach in the morning.

Kev
sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment