Bassin' in the rain - 09Apr13


TR by Gemini
Participants:  Gemini, BJ, Panno
Launch Site: Strawberry Patch, Lake MacDonald
Conditions: Overcast, rain periods, moderate wind gusts

I woke up and looked at the radar. Rain was on its way. Oh goody.

Having woken up earlier than I intended, I was first at the launch and proceeded quickly onto the water. Panno arrived not long after, with BJ the last in the car park not long after that. It had already started to rain, and it was a little unpleasant even with wet weather gear. I hate to think how cold Panno was without any protection!

Once all of us were on the water we lapped around the strawberry patch area looking for a strike. I had a missed strike in a hole near the old tree stump, but nothing else. The rain then finally started to clear, and conditions started to improve.


Clearing cloud, featuring a wet Panno and BJ. Apologies, but most GoPro images from today will feature lens moisture.


With the rain easing to a very light sprinkle, the bass decided to come and play. Panno put us on the board with the first fish of the day.


Sorry about the pic mate, it's the best frame of the bunch!


Just after releasing this fish, BJ shouted out to say he was on....then off again. The bass had spat the hook. Bugger!

We made our way around the corner and continued the search. Not too far along Panno landed another bass in near the bank. No decent photo of this one though, so you'll have to take my word for it!

From here we made our way slowly up toward Toga Bay. At this stage Panno decided he best get back to his day job and said his goodbyes, with BJ grabbing a nice photo on his way past.



While BJ was grabbing a photo of Panno off in the distance, I managed to hook my first, and the third fish of the day, just inside Toga Bay.



BJ slowly cast his way over, and then captured a nice posed shot for this report.


Cheese!


From there BJ and I drifted up through the bay and towards the Palm Farm area. By now the clouds were starting to look ominous again in the distance, and the wind was picking up a little. I suggested to BJ we might have a quick try in that general area, and then make our way back before the weather struck. Not long after, I landed fish number two...





...and number three not 5 minutes later.




BJ took some great photos, so I'm making good use of them!



I couldn't let BJ off without at least one head shot... :)


After that brief excitement we headed back around to Six Mile Creek with no further luck. The wind was whipping up, and we had a brief go in the creek, but in the end we called it a day with no further joy. The totals today were 2 bass for Panno, 3 for me, and an unfortunate doughnut for BJ. Not the best weather for his first trip out on Lake Mac, but BJ enjoyed having a look around nonetheless.

Cheers!

Matt (Gemini)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't put it in the report, but as we reached Six Mile Ck, BJ and I were harassed by the paparazzi. A gaggle of photography club members were heading to the bird hide, and since we scared off all the birds, we were the next most interesting thing on the water. BJ is getting some of the photos sent to him, so I'll put some up when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete