Mac tuna today. 19Apr13

TR by yakfinn

Participants: Yakfinn, Graeme (Yakfinn's Dad), Des.

The conditions were looking top notch again this morning, with a slightly cooler westerly breeze blowing early on. Conditions on the water were good and continued to improve throughout the morning as the bay glassed over.

We set off for Halls Reef trolling hard body Rapala xraps, I had a light yellow/green colour lure whilst Graeme had a green xrap.

We saw a few small patches of surface activity on the way up to Halls however it was a bit sporadic. On arrival at Halls it seemed to die right off for about the first half an hour, and then the surface activity returned again in patches. I had sighted numerous longtails breaking well clear of the water and we were all in good spirits and hopeful of attracting a strike.

We chased the small bustups for a while, getting a cast away here and there, but the fish would only surface for short periods of time before going deep again. At one point I managed to get a hook up on my slug however I dropped the fish after about thirty seconds. Damn!

Des had reported no luck and Graeme had not had a touch on the trolled xrap either.

I continued to chase the birds and after a while I rounded up a small school of feeding mac tuna and was able to boat and release two of them, the second fighting a bit harder than the first. Great fun.




After several hours of chasing small bustups we made the call to slowly start to head for home. I diverted a few times to investigate small patches of surface activity however had no luck.

A great day on the water. Graeme (my Dad) really enjoyed his first paddle out on the bay and will probably be back again soon I think.

Graeme, yakfinn's Dad

Yakfinn

No comments:

Post a Comment