Jaro, Jaro, Jaro 16Apr13

Conditions: Very little wind, later 5 knots northerly. Some cloud early clearing to sunny.
Seas smooth with largish swell out to sea. In a word....great.

Participants, Sprocket, Salty Crack and Jaro.

We arrived at MG at around 5.45am to 6.00am and found that care would need to be taken to get out unscathed as it was low tide and the sand monster was working.

I was the first to go, stayed in the channel for 2 large sets then went for it as it appeared to be flat calm and just as I thought I was going to get through unscathed King Neptune decided to make a wave appear from nowhere. It broke right on me. I thought I was still going to stay upright but , no, over I went. Fortunately, I was able to get back on quickly and get out ok. Sprocket timed it well and got out dry while Salty Crack got wet but got out ok.

I headed for JS while Sprocket and Salty Crack went for SR.

I did some bottom fishing at JS with not a touch. Sprocket reported that Salty Crack caught a 2 to 3 Kg yellow fin tuna but otherwise no other action. I noted birds heading for HR so after telling the boys I headed that way. I found birds active over a large area about 2 kms out to sea from LHR and HR with many long tail tunas jumping everywhere. I tried casting slugs over bust ups, changing trolling lures and running myself ragged paddling everywhere, all to no avail.

I stopped at about 8.50am to retrieve my lure to put another on when suddenly the reel screamed and the line took off. You bloody beauty, finally my trusty Halco Laser Pro had done its work. I then proceeded to do battle. And a great battle it was too. I soon realised that it was probably a long tail. This one took the high road then the low road and criss-crossed in all directions , finally settling to do its circuits under the yak before finally giving up the ghost after about 30 minutes. It turned out to be a nice fat 105cm long tail tuna.


During the battle Kev called from shore and said he would wait till I came in. I was too buggered to do any more fishing so, as the wind was behind me, I paddled leisurely back under sail. I had tried to make contact with the other 2 yakkers to no avail, so they will have to fill in the details of their day.

After my morning dip, I took great care with my timing coming in. This time my run was perfect, landing safe and sound. Kev and the usual bevy of girls were waiting to greet me.



Photos by Sunshiner

So all in all a great day!!

Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment