Isobar and Dave, 24Mar13

TR by Isobar

I launched with my friend Dave at 6:00am from Moffat beach, Caloundra. We planned to head north towards Rapier shoal, but halfway there we saw many terns and birds feeding on bait fish, but without a sign of pelagics.

We trolled our lures. I was with a small mullet Frenzy, like the one I gave Jaro, and Dave was trolling a green mullet Halco LP 120 through the bait schools.

At some point I got a strike, which felt quite tame at first, but gradually put on a nice fight which ended eventually with a circa 60cm shark that I kept.

We kept trolling for another hour or so, without any result and decided to head back. As we were just off Dickey beach (less than 1k from our launch site), Dave was hit hard.

I got close and gave him my best advice how to handle the fish and setting the drag. Dave played the fish beautifully and 10 minutes later, the long silhouette of the Spaniard made it to the surface, where I gaffed it and helped Dave land it.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photo by IsoBar

From there it was an easy 10 minutes paddle back to the beach, with lots of interest and questions from locals.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photo courtesy of IsoBar

It seems like the fish are back!

Cheers, IsoBar and Dave

1 comment: