Conditions improving, 23Mar13

TR by sunshiner

Wind: SW less than 5 knots
Swell: 1.8m easterly
Current: At Jew Shoal, toward the east
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: solman, yakfinn, stormin, kahuna, sunshiner, and possibly tarzan (spotted his car in carpark after return)

At last, a near windless day. Four of us assembled on the beach at Middle Groyne in the near darkness about 5:15. A quick assessment of the break made each of us aware that a wet bum, but nothing worse, was a strong possibility. Even though the tide was high, there was enough swell to cause waves to break on the bank about 30m out from the groyne. There were lulls, but not very consistent and not easy to predict.

Out I went, first, and had passed the end of the wall and was going well until one of THOSE waves started to rise quickly seemingly out of nothing. I knew I’d crash through OK, but don't like getting wet on the way out, especially when there are observers like yakfinn on the beach. Anyway I switched on the shiraz powered afterburner (refuelled the night before) and cleared the dumper just before it collapsed into a chaotic frothy wall behind me.

So, drybum, off to a good start. My companions followed. I think solman got a wet bum as he managed to pick a set of four all of which he climbed over accompanied by a fair bit of spray which was clearly visible from my vantage point a further 150m out.

Noting that the water seemed murky, I opted to head for Jew Shoal in the hope that the clean water boundary might be between here and there. Paddling conditions were great, for a change, with almost dead calm conditions in the bay. Sunrise on the bay is always a pleasure in such conditions.


Very occasionally I spotted a tern, or maybe three or four, but there was no surface activity, and the terns would have found it difficult to get breakfast I think. Jew Shoal did not look inviting as the water had that tinge which usually means no fish in my experience. But I gave it my best shot, as did my companions all of whom had followed me out there. The sounder had a very occasional showing of fish, or debris, in mid water, but generally the indications were that there was little around. Kahuna arrived about 40 minutes after calling us up from Middle Groyne and just as he arrived he reported that he'd got and dropped a quick strike at The Pinnacles after which a longtail jumped nearby.

Solman with wet straw hat (probably a launch casualty) in his quite new Supalite X.

After 90 minutes or so of no action, not even for stormin, who was using prawns for bait, I opted to head toward Little Halls Reef to take a look. Ominously, just as I announced this I spotted two stinkboats coming toward us from that very place. The closer I got to Little Halls Reef the more attractive the idea of pulling the pin became because there was no improvement in water quality, no signs of terns feeding, no surface action. My decision to head for the beach was also influenced by the announcements from solman and stormin that they and yakfinn were heading in.

And so we four arrived back at the beach together. The surf zone was turbulent but managed well by all, although stormin did come close to moving the rock wall a little to the east.


I reckon those who go out tomorrow should head for A-Bay Reef or Sunshine, where the water may be clearer and more amenable to the fish.

Thanks for coming guys. See you in a couple of weeks.

Kev

Additional Contribution by Kahuna

I hauled in a nice snapper at Jew Shoal about 9.30am after you guys choofed off.  It was 750cm long and I reckon weighted about 5kgs. I didn't have anything to weigh it with so cant be sure. There is a large area there that I'd not identified previously, as I hadn't had the opportunity to have a good look before. It is only about 8-9m deep and that's where I got the snapper on a combo pillie and prawn bait.

I had noticed it before breaking during the last really big swell a couple of months back and figured there was a shoal there that was quite shallow. Lots of rough ground and lots of bait fish around yesterday. I also saw three explosions as Longtails launched themselves into the air close by me during my time out there.

Don't know how Tarzan did. I launched about the same time as him but he disappeared towards Sunshine Reef with a vigour and speed I was unable to match.

cheers, Kahuna.



No comments:

Post a Comment