Smashed, Spaniard, 10Apr10

From: "madcowes"
Subject: fishing today --10Apr10
Date: Saturday, 10 April 2010 3:54 PM

WX
Cloud cover: 3/10 (see pic)
Wind direction & speed: 5 knots, through to NW 8 knots later
Sea state: low swell, clean water
Yakkers: whalebait & eyetag
Destination: Sunshine reef

Great conditions launched about 5:30'ish (1 hour behind Ian). Lots of boat traffic and very little bird activity.


15 minutes past hells gates I heard a loud "boof" behind me followed by a substantial splash, next thing I saw my 15kg rod buckled over and line peeling off it - 5 minutes later my line went slack. I retrieved my line to find only a short section of wire trace attached to my swivel & main line.

Great I've found a new way to lose a fish, 40 pound, 3 strand wire bitten through!

Shortly after Ian hooked up and boated a spaniard of approx 10kg - see pic below.

I then decided to troll a large yellow tail gifted to me by kev from a previous trip - this bait lasted about 20 minutes before being inhaled and another good run until once again slack line and defeat, the fish had missed the stinger treble by 5mm.

We trolled around sunshine for a while and headed back in both of us losing whole slimy mackeral baits off ganged hooks, without noticing - how do they
do this?

Arrived back at MG approx 12:30pm after 20-25km paddle. conditions were excellent and a least one good fish was landed.

Once again a few small isolated tuna splashes but nothing major.

That's fishing - cheers brian

No comments:

Post a Comment