Sharks and spotties, 24Apr10

From: "madcowes"
Subject: fishing today -- 24Apr10
Date: Saturday, 24 April 2010 12:08 PM

Hookers & lookers,

Launched at MG at 5:45, after chatting to & meeting a yakker who was going to launch his hobie outrigger with sail & head to Halls reef.

Launch conditions were o.k & got out easily in flat seas and 2 foot swell with light drizzle.

THAT was as good as the conditions got, within 10 minutes of paddling heading towards granite bay, my “shallow diving hard bodied” rapala went off, while I was dealing with a feisty 1m shark, the weather gods decided to have some fun, the skies opened up, the wind was now 15knots, gusting to 20, and the swell had doubled, with white caps everywhere! – At least I was not in a hobie outrigger under sail.

I decided to tough it out for a while and head to the relative shelter of the NP headland. Constant rain & gusting winds made me wonder why I wasn’t still in bed, but….

After hooking another shark on my only slimy, I decided enough was enough and I’'d head for home. But then the squalls stopped and the wind dropped, and there was birds working 100m away.

Plan B was quick enacted and resulted in a nice spotty, taken on my trolled HB, followed by another spotty that spat the hooks right back at me at the side of the yak.

I then met another yakker that had been out on JS earlier (with no luck) but had caught two spotties from this area, (straight out from MG at the southern end of granite bay).

Le Roux then joined us (see his report at the end of mine) and promptly hooked up on to another @$$^&*& shark, and then I hooked another @#$%^ shark and decided to head home, wet but happy’ish with my spotty.

Return to shore was hazardous but dry thankfully, back on the beach by 8:30. Did spot another two unrecognized yakkers on my way back in, so I was not the only desperate one out there today.

Cheers brian
(will head out again tomorrow forecast permitting )

Spotty Mac - 75cm

Spotty mac stomach contents

LeRoux's report
::::::
From: "LeRoux Uys"
Subject: Fishing report Saturday 24/04/09
Date: Monday, 26 April 2010 8:32 PM

G'day fellow fishing fanatics,

Well I can only echo what Brian has already said regarding the weather... I had planned to leave home at 05h30 for a 6am launch, but some heavy showers in Sunrise saw me hide-out at home until around 6 and I probably didn't launch until 06h30; easy launch, but I had to time it as the tide had already started going out.

Cloud cover at this stage was probably 9/10, the water was relatively clear, but there was a stiff (prob 10kt) ESE blowing. I was going to stay in close as I got my 2 mackerel last week within 400m of the beach, so headed northeast from MG straight into the teeth of the wind which was getting stronger and now accompanied by heavy rain... I was also wondering why I wasn't still in bed.

3 Sharks later I reached Brian and his companion (?) about 3km or so out towards the reefs and subsequently hooked another $%#*! shark right after they had just both boated spotty macs. There were a couple of stinkboats about so I continued trolling my mac special loaded with a pilly while Brian & co headed for shore. About 10mins (and another shark!!) later I was rewarded with my first spotty on this trolled lure and was completely chuffed that I had stayed out. I continued to troll around for another hour or so chasing bust ups and bird activity, but continued to catch only... yes you guessed it - sharks!!

By this time (prob about 9-30 am) there was heaps of bird activity and regular bust ups everywhere and at times I found myself sitting in schools of spotty macs and sharks, the spotty macs chasing my metal slug right up to the yak time after time, but not taking it for some or other reason (when I eventually saw the size of the bait fish I knew why, but didn't have a smaller slug with me...). Then I hooked up big time in the middle of a school and thought 'this must be a record spotty mac'. After a fight that probably lasted about the better part of 10 mins and numerous strong runs a huge mac tuna appeared, foul hooked mid body just behind the dorsal fin - you can imagine my disappointment!! Oh well.

About half an hour (and more sharks - I had now stopped counting...) later I finally managed to fool another spotty with my too large lure and my haul now grew to 2 - much smaller this week than the ones I got last week, 77 and 78cm and they all seemed to be in this size range as a few hundred more had now chased my lure all the way to the yak - bugger! I had by now taken to winding in my pilly laden mac special and only casting the lure when I came close to the schools as all it was attracting were sharks, but had no further luck.

I turned and paddled for home trolling my mac special and got another bronzie on the way in as well just for old times' sake. Now came the fun part - as I got closer to MG I noticed quite a few surfers in the water, disappearing behind the lips of the waves they took off on; not good news. I secured everything on board and cautiously paddled closer waiting for a lull between the sets, but instead noticed 2 humongous waves peaking from outside. I turned and paddled for my life and had to bust through both lips just as they started to break...

Saturated and a bit shaken I considered my options as the whole beach was basically closing out as a result of the low tide. It did cross my mind to paddle through the bar and around for a moment, but then thought it probably wouldn't look much better over there, so I waited patiently for a lull between the sets and then paddled like hell. I got through OK, but as a result of the very low tide even the smaller waves were pitching and bowling, so I got done in the shorebreak causing a bit of embarrassment, but at least I didn't lose any equipment this time and my fish were tied on. I was glad to be on shore, but totally spaghetti armed so I was even happier that I had this time brought along a trolley to wheel my yak back to the car (I normally carry it down and back up...).

Watch this space, the pints are getting bigger, and I am almost to the point where I'd feel deserving of the Noosa Yakkers sticker on my ute...

Wednesday is looking good. Tight lines!
LeRoux
::::::

No comments:

Post a Comment