BigKev DIP, 18May13

TR by BigKev at DIP

Headed up to DI last Thursday for a 3 day stay with other Yakkers from the AKFF. Conditions looked promising with light westerlies predicted for our stay.

We hit a spot half way up the beach on out way up and 4 of us launched directly through the surf with varying degrees of success.

Although surface activity from predators was all but non existent there was plenty of bait rippling nervously on the top. I had multiple hookups on freight trains but lost about 5 fish to leaders breaking and even a knot failure. The other boys had already started landing long tails so I suspect these were the culprits of my bust offs. Soon enough though I got a good hit on a drifting SP and stayed connected long enough to land a nice longy.

 photo image_zps92558cee.jpeg

Photo of BigKev with Longtail

From here we made our way north to the campsite and set up on a cold and drizzly afternoon.

Day 2 and the target was snapper on a mark kindly shared by Pedro just in front of DI headland. Although on arrival a pro line fisherman was working the area and later in the day The Keely Rose charter boat also dropped in, so I suspect it's a pretty well known spot. I pulled 1 snap at about 73cm and 20+ fish of sub 35cm from the area on plastics. The following morning I fished here again and lost a very good snapper early which saw the spot shut down completely as I think it may have spooked them.

Once again on the return trip down the beach we stopped when we spotted longies feeding behind the break and surf launched to get amongst the action. Tracking a boil I cast my SP straight in the middle as soon as I got close enough and let it sink. Seconds later I was on, and 45min later I had another longy in the hatch.

Was a great weekend in an easily accessible area for any Noosa Yakkers with a 4wd and I hope to get up there again soon.



 photo 374d3ff3-df2b-432a-934f-18575d3fe9c4_zpsa6f467be.jpg

Editor's note: Is that you Trev ?

 photo c521ac32-cdc1-4baa-a05a-a37c95d35ec5_zpsa94b0d1b.jpg

Snapper in the Box

 photo 3a64040d-9924-4930-8f25-6e697c88e8b8_zps37182873.jpg

Photos courtesy of BigKev

Kev

1 comment:

  1. The longies were there in hundreds for the taking/sport. Kev and I caught two each on two separate days, but could have caught way more (till our arms fell off).

    Hoping it will continue for months. Surely they will be in Laguna Bay??

    trev (kayakone)

    ReplyDelete