Spaniard and pelagics, 30Jan10

From: "Stuart Denissen"
Subject: Fishing 30 Jan 10
Date: Saturday, 30 January 2010 1:51 PM

I arrived this morning at approx 5:45, Ian's car in his usual spot. Conditions were ideal with only ankle slappers coming through for the launch. I mainly fished Laguna Bay and the river mouth due to a heap of bird and bait activity. I hooked another small shark which was quickly released. I had another strike a short while later near the river mouth using the last of my two slimy mackerels. I decided to follow the birds and bait balls which turned out to be good fun on light tackle, catching heaps of bonito and yellow tail yakkers. The Southerly started to pick up pretty strong and trying to stick with the bait became a mission so I decided to call it a day. Ian arrived back a couple minutes later and as per usual had a nice size Spaniard which he caught at Sunshine Reef. See pic attached.


Stu

From Ian

Subject: Re: Fishing 30 Jan 10
Date: Saturday, 30 January 2010 5:44 PM

I fished SR with big Bonito on chin guards two baits lost half a fillet and failed to hook up but there was one unlucky Spaniard that got hooked and landed, approx 1m and I'm guessing 6-7kg. Stu put photo on his report. I was told today that usually the Spaniards hit the baits with their mouth open then come back for a second hit after wounding the fish, this would explain the missing sides of my baits, I'm going with it anyway. Thinking about a close session tomorrow bait gathering, this will depend on the weather and how energetic I feel in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment