A plan that worked 25Oct15

TR by eyetag

Wind: 0-10 Knot Easterly till midnight then nothing
Current: run out tide
Launch Point: Noosa Heads Lions park
Participants: Eyetag

The plan was to fish the current line from Rickies down to the sand bags for a couple of hours then head up stream and try to get a Barra. Bigeye trevally were busy feeding right along the current line where I released at least a dozen fish from 20-30cm, not big fish but a lot of fun casting small Gladiator prawns on the 3lb outfit, drifting down and trolling back. The Gold Bomber wasn't touched on any of my return runs until what was to be my last when it got smashed and I had a serious fight with a Great Barracuda that wasn't landed until I was just inside the river mouth (the Hobie would've been a great advantage being able to peddle up stream and hold some ground) I was very lucky he gave up the fight when he did. I beached the yak got a quick photo then after a long time trying to revive him he eventually swam away.



After that ordeal I thought it was time to leave the scene and put part "B" of the plan into action. On arrival I could hear fish feeding and it wasn't long before I was hooked up on the Gold Bomber to a solid fish that was trying desperately to get back to it's snag, I managed to keep him out in open territory and after a good 15 minutes I landed Barra #1 and had him in the pod on ice. Then another pass and another Barra, this one was released after a quick photo.


Stoked with the result I headed back and on my way through the Woods bays I got a nice Tailor and a Jack.


1 comment:

  1. Quite a night, Ian. That's an amazing barracuda for the river!

    ReplyDelete