Maori Cod and Flounder at Little Halls, 17 September 2015

TR by Tunny
Trip date: 17 September 2015
Participants: Redwood, Tunny (with Panno out there on a boat)
Launch Site:  MG
Conditions: Wind 10 knots NW at 8 am falling to 5 knots by 10 am; High Tide 10.12 am; Overcast with a few scattered showers.
Keen Angler Program: Nothing donated

With my addiction to kayak fishing I checked the weather forecast early this morning to find the outlook better than I had expected.  But there was a storm warning for mid day/ early afternoon so I figured I had a few hours to head out.  I was joined by Redwood at MG at around 8 am and we launched at 8.15 am.  The launch was easy and we headed for Little Halls with the idea of possibly going on to Halls unless there were signs of the storm building.

We both trolled Halco lures without a touch.  The bait fish that had been breaking the surface on my previous trip were also absent this morning and there were no signs of any birds. On arrival at Little Halls Panno came on the radio to let us know he was out in his boat and had trolled around Halls with no success. We trolled to about 500 m north of Little Halls but the horizon was dark with thick cloud and we opted not to push on to Halls in case the storm came through.

We both switched to soft plastics, with Redwood catching a Flounder of 25 cm at around 9.30 am.  I caught a Maori Cod shortly after that which I released as it was under the 45 cm size limit.

Maori Cod
Redwood headed back to MG at around 10 am and I followed about half an hour later. Despite the lack of fish it was a fun few hours on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment