Mutton birds, Kingfish and sinking feelings - 19Oct13

TR by Redwood

Trip date: 19 October 2013
Participants: Stormin, Danu, Imax, Redwood
Launch Site:  Middle Groyne
Destination:  JS
Conditions:  Gusting 10-15 knots, swell 1.5m, strong current to the South

Imax heading out, the Gold Bomber looking on
 I arrived at the MG car park at around 5am to find Imax almost ready to head out. I did a quick check of conditions and could see Stormin already setting up behind the breakers along with Danu. Imax's plan was to do laps in close to try avoid the wind and hopefully strike some pelagic gold. Imax launched just before I did and had no trouble getting out in the BFS ramping a medium size wave with ease. I managed to time my launch well (for a change) and got out without a problem.

I set up my trolling rigs and as the swell was going SW to NE I decided to hug the headland on my way to JS or ABR. I passed Imax on the way who'd already snagged a small Tailor (not sure how he went in the end). I continued along the headland shaking my head at the crazy rock fishermen risking life and limb for a feed of fish. No doubt they thought the same of me.

Without the fear of the swell pushing me into the rocks it was a nice paddle out, but the swell was fairly large and as I got out to Picnic Cove Point conditions became very tricky with the swell seeming to come from multiple directions. The Evo is not particularly fond of this type of movement and I had to keep my wits about me. I decided that with the strong Southerly wind, it would be better to head for JS than ABR, so I turned North and cautiously headed that way.

Mutton birds seemed to be all over the place and I recalled what Mango had said a few weeks back about the potential for Tuna below the bait balls these birds were looking at. I also wondered if these birds would go for my lures and just following that thought I saw one attached to one of my trolling lines. I started to reel in slowly thinking it was hooked somehow, but as it turned out it was wrapped up in the line and as it fought to get away it got more and more tangled. Untangling it proved difficult and I lost my halco twisty in the process as I had to cut some line. I also received a few bites and scratches. Mutton birds may indicate the presence of bait balls and predators, but trolling past them can be troublesome. I did notice 20-30 dead Mutton birds a couple of days later on Doggie Beach; perhaps all killed by frustrated anglers?

After I safely freed the bird I headed to JS and had to chat to Stormin and Danu, neither of whom had seen much action. I trolled JS for a while before deciding to set up a drift over the pinnacles. The first drift yielded nothing, but on the second the squid bait was hit hard and from the initial fight, head shaking and diving I thought perhaps a decent size Snapper. It was peeling off line from a heavy set drag on the Penn 7500 in short bursts and after about 5 or 6 of these bursts there seemed to be little fight left. I reeled in and could see it was not a Snapper but something more silvery and streamlined. I got it next to the boat but given my experience the week before with 3 lost schoolies, I was keen not to stuff this up and I also didn't want to gaff it in case it had to go back. Norman came over with net in hand trying to sidle up to me so that I could grab it, but after three failed attempts he tried to throw it to me but it landed short. I was tied up with the fish so I could only watch as the net sank to slowly out of sight. With no other option left I dragged it into the hatch successfully, grabbed the fish guide and pegged it as a Yellow Tail Kingfish (which was later confirmed), which measured around 53cm, 7cm short of keeper status, so it was released.

Yellow Tail Kingfish not a usual suspect in Noosa waters

Danu had pulled the plug earlier and Stormin and I decided to head back in. On the way back there were lots of diving birds, but our trolling gear was left untouched. The surf zone return was as easy as Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment