Learnt the lesson. 10Feb13

TR by Jaro with contribution by JamieD

Participants: Jamie D, Redwood, Stormin, Kiwibro and Jaro
Conditions: Weather mostly clear and sunny, large swell especially further out, windy 10 to 15 knots also especially further out. Water still dirty from runoff.

Woke up this morning with DIP and Cape Moreton showing red. A few NYs sent emails saying they were pulling the plug but some keeping their options open for a later start like me.

Decided to have another look at 5.30am and found an email from Redwood stating that conditions at MG were not bad. DIP and Cape Moreton had gone down to 15 knots so I took off for MG.

When I arrived all the other participants had already left. There were large waves coming in sets with a reasonable interval in between them. Timing was of the essence and boy, did I time it perfectly, just got over the first of the next set and was in the clear with a dry bum.

Called the other yakkers to find Stormin and I think Redwood and Kiwibro heading for LHR. Jamie D was at JS where I headed as with an easterly wind present I did not fancy bashing into it on the way back if I went to LHR.

Conditions weren't bad at MG but the closer I got to JS the worse the conditions got. The swell was large with slop on top. By the time I got to JS, Jamie D had pulled the plug due to a roll over and encountering blue bottles in the process. The others at LHR on hearing Jamie's roll over and as the swell was scary with the wind appearing to pick up, decided to also pull the plug and head for MG.

So there I was at JS wondering if I should persist or let discretion be the better part of valour. Discretion won out after I had done one drift with no action. The paddle back was hard at first but I did the last half under sail at a fair clip reaching 11.5km/h.

The tide was now at its peak at MG but there were still large waves to negotiate and again, as luck would have it, my timing was perfect and I got in easily with some furious paddling to beat the big ones coming in behind me.

No fish were caught (or seen) by all 5 of us. All we got was a good dose of exercise and practice at getting out and in.


Contribution by JamieD

What a day! That is officially the last time I ignore the decisions of senior members local to the area.

What a deceptive place, it can be flat and windless at Middle Groyne and disgusting out wide. Got out okay. Got stung by bluebottles, which by the way is why no one could understand me on the radio as it has been drowned lol, capsized, was being stung by blueys the whole time I was trying to self rescue. After that I sulked all the way back to Middle groyne. Included the video of my day.



Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the results Jamie, but at least it makes great video. :)

    ReplyDelete