Fishing Friday Night, 01Feb13

TR by Panno
Launch Point: Noosa Lions Park
Wind: Sheltered from the northerly at main beach
Participants: Carlton, Tiberium, Eyetag, Tunny, Panno


Hi guys, I headed off from Lions Park around 7pm after meeting a few other yakkers plus Turtleboy and friend Owen.

Whilst I think the others went up the back way towards Weyba Hole, I trolled a bibbed minnow along Woods Bay, closely followed by Dave. I hooked up on the western side of the Woods area a little before Ricky’s, and it was a solid fish that took a long first run against 20lb braid set on a stiff drag.

With the rod still in its holder I immediately paddled into the middle of the bay to give me some room to fight the fish off the rod, but due to the force of the fish and the wind, I was back where I started within 30 seconds. This act was repeated three times until suddenly I could no longer feel headshakes and my worst case scenario eventuated, the fish had wrapped me around an anchored fishing boat !

At least I got my lure back, but there’s a solid fish out there. To give you an idea, it went much harder (and longer) than a 68cm cod I hooked there a few weeks back, so I am guessing it was either a large Jack, a barra or a GT, but I suppose we will never know !

The rest of the night was uneventful for me. I trolled up to Munna Bridge and then to Weyba Hole where there were some intermittent splashes but nothing to get me excited enough to hang around for too long. The boys and one other yakker (possibly Eyetag) were also working that area when I arrived, but to no avail at that juncture. After about 30 minutes of flicking SP’s up there I returned home via the back channel.

Whilst you guys are probably already aware of this, I was surprised by the number of stink boats zipping about the estuary without lights. They certainly present a hazard and any yakker would not want to get caught out there without some form of light to flash at them if they are heading towards you !

The boys were planning to stay out all night. I look forward to hearing how they did. Oh to still have the energy to be able to do that !

Ciao

Andy (Panno)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice fish. Might still be there next time.
    Yeah, there was more boats out that night without lights than usual. I was later informed by a local that two of those boats were actually stolen.

    ReplyDelete