One Hit at Sunshine, 14Jan13

TR by Pedro
Swell: Half metre
Current: not detected
Launch point: Doggie Beach (Sunshine Beach)
Participants: Pedro


I launched around 5am without incident and trolled bait hoping for a mac. There were plenty of terns heading into the wind and eventually, at about 8.30 I saw them working just out from Lion Rock (the southern end of A Bay).

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

If you look carefully you can see Pedro at about 4 o'clock to the rising sun position. Photo courtesy of Kerrie Crisp 5.30am.

On arrival the terns were picking up small anchovy as they fed on the surface. The anchovy were thick and covered a large area. Not long after my bonito on spaniard special, ( thanks Richmond ) was smashed and took off fast.

I continued pedalling to maintain pressure while winding in the other line and the ratchet stopped screaming. The fish self released. On inspection the small treble on the last gang was hooked forward onto the wire that holds the spinners. I re-baited with a large gar and continued to troll the area for another hour without result.

By this stage the wind had dropped so I headed out to A-Bay reef and drift fished for an hour picking up one just legal snapper that went back. At 10.30am I headed for home via the Lion Rock area, doing a few laps amongst the anchovies then timing my landing perfectly I was on the beach upright.

Cheers
Pedro

1 comment:

  1. Nice try, pete and a good launch and return. The forecast was spot on, I noticed, a nice NW offshore breeze.

    ReplyDelete