Izak's Night Report, 09Nov12

TR by Tiberium
Wind: 4-8 knots N-NW
Tides: Low 10:22pm - High 4:40am
Weather: Overcast
Launch point: Noosa Lions Park
Participants: Carlton, Eyetag, Tiberium, Ben (Carlton's friend) and Wal

With Eyetag already in the water, Ben, Carlton and myself launched at 7:30pm. It was straight to the Woods for us in look of some action from some trevally or tailor.

Sitting at the outer Woods was Eyetag with some hairtail on board. The four of us trolled the outer woods for an hour. I had some luck catching three hairtail.

We all moved down to where the new rock wall has been built to come across some trevally boiling up. My first cast in and I was on, the same for Carlton and Eyetag. We all pulled in a big eye each. The boil kept on going for 10 minutes so we just kept pulling them in. I hooked four big eyes, Carlton got a couple more than me and Eyetag had caught the whole school. Ben caught one eye big and with this being the first time he has ever kayak fished it was his first fish from kayak and first fish on a lure.

When the boil stopped I started to troll around the same spot. With no action I moved closer to the sand bank and with a couple of paddles my lure was stopped in its track.

I thought I had caught a heavy log because it felt like I was reeling in dead weight until I saw what surfaced, a nice size flathead, I quickly got her in the net before she could think about going back to the depths.

I paddled over to a sand bank and quickly got some photos.

Photobucket

She went back. (Photo by Carlton)

Photobucket

The yaks

After I released her I jumped on the yak for another troll. Straight away I was on to a what I thought to be a small trevally, but instead greeted by a monster whiting.

I quickly placed him in the fish bag as Eyetag screamed out that he caught a Jack and that they were here. I was so determined to catch a Jack I forgot that Carlton and Ben were still around so I went looking for them. I found Carlton and asked what he had caught. He pulled up a 38cm whiting and a couple of big eyes.

Photobucket
Can't even fit on a 40cm ruler.

I got back to trolling for another 10 minutes, until another fish wanted my lure. This fish was more aggressive when fighting it so I had an idea of what it was. I was right, my first Mangrove Jack surfaced and I was so happy to see it.

The rest of the night was quiet for me but Ben and Carlton were still able to bring in the trevally for another 30 minutes. After that we all paddled over to the Sound and that's where Eyetag and Ben called it a night. For the rest of the night Carlton and I didn't get any action.

The best night I have been on and I can say the same for Carlton.

Izak.

1 comment:

  1. Nice report, tiberium, and even nicer fishing. Saw your pic in today's Noosa News, too. Fame at last!

    ReplyDelete