The Doc is Back, 04Jun12


TR by Pedro
Wind: 5knots early 12knots later
Swell: 0.5 to 1m
Launch Point: MG
Participants: Pedro and Doctor Dog


I launched solo around 6am and headed north trolling a headstart with gar (check them out online). I headed for LH reef, scanning the water for surface activity. The birds were working small bust-ups. Following these I ended up just north of the river mouth when I met up with Doctor Dog.

Doctor dogs launch conditions below

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We followed the birds, getting a cast off now and then, and I eventually hooked up and landed a mac tuna which I kept for salting down(snapper bait). After I caught and released two more, and with no longtails around, we decided to head north in close to the beach.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The water cleaned up the further north we went and we came across more turns hovering over large bait schools. This is where the Doctor hooked up on a solid tuna which towed him east. I stayed in the zone hoping for one too while keeping an eye on Doctor Dogs progress. I did manage to get a couple of casts at the surface boils but the tuna were shy and staying deeper.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After Mark had boated his fish, we met up and I helped him stow it in the front hatch. We then made our way back to MG meeting up with Turtleboy on the beach.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cheers
Pedro

Contribution for Doctor Dog


Pedro's report covered it pretty well. We were on the Teewah side of first cutting when I decided I would head back to MG.I had been trolling an old faithful( Halco Laser Pro 120 Pilchard pattern) all morning with no strikes and had not had any interest in either the Laser Pro or my 40 gram Raider cast offering. Pedro & I discussed whether we should be trying smaller lures as the bait fish around about seemed to be very small.

I had just reached Halls Knob on my course back to main beach and I was thinking of changing lures when my trolling outfit went off with a solid scream of the ratchet against the drag - "don't you just love that sound".

The strike stayed solid and the fish proceeded to tow me round in circles gradually heading to the east. It seemed to be a good fish and showed characteristic speed power and head shakes typical of longtail tuna.

I fish with 50lb braid on my trolling rod so I can put a fair bit of hurt on the fish if I want to but I did not want a fish of this size coming to the yack green so I was moderate with my application of drag . Having said that the fish was towing me at a fairly good clip and when he wanted to change direction I had to be careful he did not tip me out of the yak as he fought with a lot of "youthful enthusiasm".

After 20 + minutes I was able to grab his tail and also plant a gaff into his cheek plate. It took me some time to regain my composure, take a few photos and then paddle over to Pedro with a "lapful" of longtail . He was kind enough to help me stow my fish in the forward hatch before heading back to MG for an uneventful beach landing.

Thanks for the company Pedro and for making me stay out for that little bit longer. I would have missed my fish otherwise. This tuna capped off a delightful morning out on the water.

The Tuna was 1110mm on the brag mat and 15 kg on the scales.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cheers,
Doctor Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment