Another Spaniard, 09Apr12

TR by Pedro

Wind: Light SSE
Swell: 1m
Launch Point: DIP
Participant: Pedro

As posted earlier we took the inland road north to Rainbow Beach then south to Double Is Point.

Arrived around 4am and launched around 4.45 with a few decent waves to punch through resulting in a wet bum.

Once I was in deeper water I deployed a HB and a Spaniard special with a large slimy attached.

My plan was to head to the edge of the exclusion zone (Wolf Rock) and travel east then north to a mark I found online.

This brought me about 3.5k from DIP headland. At around 7am my slimy got hit and I called shark due to the heavy but slow fight and an hour later I had a 3m shark on the surface. With most of my line on the spool I cut it.

I tied another Spaniard special and decided to bottom fish with my other rod, leaving the SS with about 20m of line out and it wasn't long before it went off and ten minutes later I landed my first Spanish mackerel and depending on eyetag's fish (well done) I might have a NY record. Mine went 1.295m.

Having stowed the fish I headed in picking up a spotty near the headland.

All in all a nice day out.

Pedro





No comments:

Post a Comment