Jaro solo on 03Mar09

From: "Jaro Cerny"
Subject: Fishing Report 03/03/09
Date: Wednesday, 4 March 2009 3:55 PM

Hello Yakkers,

I was the only yakker to front up at 5.45am at MG on a warm, partly cloudy, calm day. The conditions were as good as one could hope for and so I headed out with great enthusiasm and optimism for a successful day. Getting out at 6.00am was a breeze and once out I was confronted with seeing thousands of birds... and this is not an exaggeration. They virtually covered the entire Laguna Bay. All were diving and feeding on baitfish that also virtually covered the entire bay. The baitfish were clearly visible around and under my kayak. However!!!! there was no sign of any pelagics feeding on them. I cast my spinner many times in all different locations to no avail. Bugger!!! how frustrating, probably the pelagics were over engorged and gone home.

So, disillusioned, at 7.00am I decided to go and paddle out to JS trolling along the way. By the time I was 1 km away no birds were visible. Once at JS I drifted and using pilchards on a gang hook I had instant success, a 30cm sweetlip which I released. I kept getting bites and then landed a wire netting cod (pictured)

Could not rotate the picture (help Kevin). Anyway a good example of a wire netting cod

It was not long before I had exhausted my supply of pilchards and decided to head home via the National Park at 8.30 am. As I neared the coastline, I noticed bird activity and headed that way. Much to my delight there was now some fish activity and soon cast my spinner into the activity and had an immediate strike. It put up a great fight and it took me 5 to 10 minutes to land, disappointingly, a Mac Tuna (pictured). I had thought it may have been a mackerel. Anyway I kept it and gutted it then and there.

The Mac Tuna.... note I had just started to gut it before I decided to take a pic first

I then proceeded to continue spinning into various masses of fish hoping for a mackerel but to no avail. I caught 5 more Mac Tunas but released them all. Still it was great fun catching them.

I then headed for home again and came across another swirling mass. The trusty spinner was again successful catching 2 small bonitos? (one pictured) and both being released.

A bonito (Editor: Watsons leaping bonito)

With that I pulled up stumps and had a easy ride in.
Total caught 6 Mac Tunas, 2 Bonitos, 1 Sweetlip & 1 Wire netting Cod = 10 fish.

A fun morning in wonderful conditions... the only improvement would have been better eating fish.

Cheers

Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment