Many yakkers, poor result, 20Feb11

Subject: fishing today -- 20Feb11
From: sunshiner
Date: 20/02/2011 2:00 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: clear sky
Wind direction & speed: light SW
Sea state: low swell
Moonrise/set: set at sunrise

Participants: (apologies if I miss you out but there seemed to be yakkers everywhere this morning) eyetag, jaro, jimbo, lapse, sunshiner, rooter (LeRoux), gemini, maverick (late arrival -- by radio only), Tony (visitor from Brisbane), friend (Ray?) of LeRoux's mounted in a Stealth SIK, John (visitor from Brisbane) whom we'd encountered last Sunday also
..........
Remarkably, this was the third Sunday in a row when the offshore weather forecast was suitable for yak fishing. Understandably, then, we had a big rollup. I might add at this stage that I'd caught no fish at all on the previous two Sundays and was hoping that today that particular monkey would get off my back.

Eyetag's car was parked in its usual place in the carpark and his trolley tracks on the beach confirmed that he was fishing already when we started to assemble on the beach. Several of us launched around 0445 at low tide, well before the sun rose, our launch aided by the bright light of a setting full moon and a clear sky. The launch was easy, provided patience was exercised and I doubt that anyone would have had difficulty in that aspect today.

The destination of choice seemed to be Jew Shoal and before long we were heading off toward it. Many stink boats were exiting the river mouth and heading across our path. If you're new to launching at MG please note that this is one of the few hazards we face -- the possibility of being run over by a power boat whose operator is distracted or temporarily blinded by the rising sun. Always assume that you haven't been seen and err on the side of safety.

Anyway, there we were, paddling out toward JS. Jaro encountered some sort of tackle problem soon after departure and hove to while the rest of us kept going. Then I discovered a fault with my main fishing outfit but after a couple of minutes during which I field stripped the reel I discovered the problem and figured I could live with it. The result of this was that I was near the rear of the field and Jaro was behind me as we neared JS.

One thing that was noticeable today was the lack of terns flying over our heads toward the north and north east. Later, they suddenly were present, apparently out of nowhere, when the tuna started to feed.

My Halco Laser Pro was throbbing along happily about 50m behind me, a better summer morning couldn't have been imagined, and the terns were flocking in patches on the horizon. This looked good!

ZZZZZZZZ -- the Laser Pro had gone off. Picking up the rod I felt the weight of a good fish which promptly decided to show me who was boss by whipping past me and heading north, toward JS. A couple of minutes after the 0540-ish hookup I checked the GPS -- on full view right in front of me. It showed we were still 900m from the Pinnacles and that we were heading toward that mark at 4-5kph. I was like a water skier being slowly towed by a submarine. Clearly this was a powerful fish so I put out a quick radio message. Jaro, approaching from behind, kindly opted to stay nearby in case I needed help.

At 4kph it takes 15 minutes to travel one kilometre. Within another 15 minutes we (the fish and I) were passing due west of the Pinnacles and in another 15 minutes we were 900m north west of the Pinnacles and the bugger was still going. I'd managed to get much of the 20 pound bs braid back on the spool but there was still plenty of energy being transmitted back to me through the line. During the fight I'd concluded that I'd hooked a large longtail tuna as the high frequency tail vibrations could easily be felt. I've caught several before and they all felt like this, although some start circling deep down while this fish was still pretty much swimming straight ahead. Nevertheless, I have to admit the possibility that this was a shark, especially in view of the experiences of others recently.

At 35 minutes or so I could feel the fish starting to tire and was getting more line back on the spool. The gaff was ready but I still hadn't seen the fish when the braid gave way. That's fishing. My Halco Laser Pro, rigged with wire, was gone, and the fish was free. The monkey was still on my back.

By now, nearly everyone was chasing the tuna schools which were popping up briefly all over and around JS. I put a huge Rapala sinking HB on my trolling outfit while keeping a slug casting outfit ready should the opportunity arise for a quick cast as I gently trolled around the shoal. On about the third approach to a mass of feeding fish which had fortuitously popped up in my path my cast slug was accepted, to the disgust of a stink boater nearby who was trying the same thing without success. I guessed this was a mac tuna as it went for a long run then sulked down deep in 18m until gentle pressure on the 12 pound bs monofilament did the trick and the fish lay beaten next to the yak.

Monkey gone. A fat mac tuna about 75cm long.

Another view, showing the chrome slug it took.

These are hard fighting fish but this one was totally knackered so I decided to keep him, if only to give him away to one of the other yakkers. There's no shortage of these fine fighting tuna, no size or bag limit.

By now all who were on radio had been made aware that eyetag had boated a spotty mac at Sunshine Reef while targetting Spaniards and that jimbo had bagged a small keeper sweetlip on a prawn. The air temperature was likely to start increasing quickly but Jaro and I were keen to try a paddle to Little Hall's Reef (3.6km distant) where we'd previously had great success with Spaniards and spotties at this time of year.

Jaro, lapse and I headed off more or less together to see whether the fishing was any better there.

Alex (lapse) in his new pre-loved Stealth Supalite, approaching LH Reef from JS

It wasn't, but we were shortly joined at LH Reef by Jim and Tony, the latter kindly being given a tour of Laguna Bay by Jim. Near LH Reef were two small commercial beam trawlers, scooping up a few prawns from the seabed in 14m of water. Here and there a few splashes could be seen but the surface action at LH Reef was all but non-existent. However, not far away were masses of baitfish about 75mm long, just waiting to be eaten by predators who hadn't yet discovered their hiding place.

With the breeze dying out, exactly as forecast, the personal heat discomfort index started to climb and so those of us at LH Reef decided to head for home, arriving without further action or incident around 0930. On the way back we received a radio message from maverick who reported that he'd just lost a Spaniard next to the yak and that he had several others swimming around him. Hopefully he'll fill us in with a supplementary report.

Beach pic of the landing point by Pedro's wife Wendy

That's it until next time, yakkers. Anyone else who has something worthwhile to pass on about today's adventures please feel free to do so.
[see emails at end of post]

Thanks for organizing the trip, Jaro, and for coming along hookers and potential hookers.

Kev
Red & white Stealth Supalite, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

:::::::
Subject: Fishing today
From: Stuart Denissen
Date: 20/02/2011 1:41 PM

Hi Kev if you want to add to the report...

launched at Sunshine, caught and dropped first spaniard just at the start of inner reef then dropped another way out right next to the yak :(

saw heaps of spotties but they did not hang around or take any lures, called it a day at 10-ish as I forgot sunscreen!
Stu
::::::

Subject: RE: fishing today -- 20Feb11
From: Matt Reid
Date: 20/02/2011 2:23 PM

Hi all!

Asides from leaving my gaff in the car, dropping a sounder mount fitting down a scupper hole to a salty grave, and no fish, it was a great day. The conditions were the best I've seen since becoming a yakker, and there were plenty of feeding tuna to chase.

No fish to report, but I had a strike on a trolled garfish with pink skirt early in the day, and then I was baited on the way back into MG.

Maybe next time!

Cheers!

Matt Reid
Call sign: Gemini
Viking Tempo Fisherman
p.s: Kev, that tuna is now filleted and marinating with an Asian concoction of soy and spices. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment