Snapper and surf, Vid, 16Nov10

Preamble: Today’s report is in three sections sequenced as follows:
(1) Sunshiner's email and video link
(2) Jag One’s very readable on-water account
(3) Sunshiner’s pics

Subject: Fishing today -- a landlubber's viewpoint
From: sunshiner
Date: 16/11/2010 2:48 PM

I couldn't go fishing this morning because I was diligently applying myself (starting at 4:00am) to my business. But things went well and so, by 0930 I'd decided to head down to MG to meet the several Hookers who had gone out this morning and should be returning before noon. I needed a break anyway after the the last few hectic weeks so shortly afterward I was at the MG carpark where I bumped into Stu (maverick), who'd had similar thoughts to mine. My camera, radio and measure mat were in my bag and I had hopes of catching a bit of surf landing video as the stiff northerly breeze and swell combo was cutting up quite a wave, which was breaking just off the end of the groyne. Woo hoo!

Anyway, I did get some video and a few pics. jag1, who distinguished himself today by nailing three nice snapper, pic later, has agreed to write a Trip Report. I agreed to supply what I could in the way of visual support.

So here's my contribution:

(1) a video posted on youtube (first frame image below -- that yellow thing is jimbo's yak). See who got through and how...




:::::::::::::
Subject: Fishing today -- Tues 16Nov10
From:"geoff stolberg"
Date: 16/11/2010 8:36 PM

Weather: Fine with scattered cloud.
Wind: Forecast 4-6kts NNE strengthing PM hrs.
Swell: Forecast 1.5mtrs
Starters: Ian, Jaro, Doug, Jim and Geoff.

I parked at MG at 0410hrs and had a quick check on the water, as Eyetag's car was already parked. Sure enough, his yak tailight was disappearing towards SR. Jaro arrived, followed by Jimbo and we were all set to go by 0445hrs. Time to tackle the surf. It was a "patience" departure [Jaro's word], and he and I got out OK. Jimbo wasn't happy with his first attempt so he did a repeat -- all good. Doug met up with us halfway to the shark nets, and we all headed to SR.

The swell wasn't difficult, just annoying. Especially when you've got a yak the length of mine. A couple of light showers cooled us during the trip.

Jaro lead the way and we headed for the southern end of SR, where he put in a radio call to Eyetag for his position. Eyetag's response was "One klm south of you guys. The current is really strong", or words to that effect. Eyetag made his way back up to the group and we moved towards A bay to try and lessen the drift rate. At times the GPS registered 2k/hr. Eyetag had caught and released a couple of fish already.

As the morning progressed, Doug made his way to JS as did Jimbo. Not much had been happening prior to then. As always though, that's when the fish came. Eyetag pulled a nice selection of snapper and grassies, and I broke my SR hoodoo [previous trip] with a treble of snapper. They were all taken on either smaller pillies or green prawns, with some hitting before the bait got to the bottom, and one took Eyetag's while he was winding in. Jaro switched to a SP, but the gods weren't favouring him one bit. Jimbo had radioed in from JS with a very good snapper, also on a pillie.

Around 0830hrs the swell had dropped slightly and the water took on that nice oily look of calm. It looked as if the whole swell/current dilemma was abating. How things can change!! At one point, Eyetag and I were making our way back in to a closer mark for another drift. In the time it took to paddle 1klm, the 'oily' look had been replaced by small chop. Jaro was ahead of us and had started fishing. By the time we got to him, it was now vividly apparent that it was home time.

The NNE wind had very quickly increased, as had the swell. We were faced with a northerly paddle against a wind driven swell that was heading south. Needless to say, we seemed to be looking at A bay and Hell's Gates for an eternity. The only high point for me was a guard of honour from about ten dolphins. They stuck with me for about five minutes, with two or three on my bow and the remainder riding shotgun either side or doing a barrel roll through under the yak. I would have loved to take photos, but, had I stopped paddling, I would have been at Coolum in no time.

The swell was now a good 2mtrs plus the wind factor and chop. What should normally be a 45min paddle took us 1hr 40min! And I swear, most of that was UPHILL!!

All made it back safely, including Jimbo who would have had a tailwind coming from JS!! If you've watched the video, we also all made the beach. I may have to fit a periscope to my yak if we do any more of those beach assaults. Note though that, everything was tied on and nothing was lost. I did neglect to actually tie my kitbag down, hence it became a giant sea anchor!

Considering the conditions, it was another great day in paradise with some excellent fish caught.

Thanks to Sunshiner for coming down to record the fun.

And apparently, it is bad luck to take bananas on a boat as I was advised by Kev and Ian when they spotted the remains of my snack. I argued that was impossible as I had caught fish. However, what about Jaro? Sorry, mate. I may have hexed you.

See you on the water
Geoff Stolberg
call sign JaG One
:::::::::

Sunshiner’s beach pics with captions.

Above: Jimbo's very fine snapper

Eyetag's nice mixed bag. Looks like that Tuskfish is still hungry.

Jag1's best snapper of the day plus a couple of its mates.

And the successful anglers -- jag1, jimbo, eyetag.

No comments:

Post a Comment