Pt Ark twosome, 29Sep10

Subject: fishing yesterday pt Arkwright
From: Pete
Date: 30/09/2010 9:20 AM

Hi to all,
Met Geoff at 4.30am and headed out on the water by 4.50. Easy launch with 1ft swell, 10-15 knot nw'er, abating to a glass out by 9.00.

Easy paddle (pedal) out, I drifted with the wind and Geoff had a couple of goes at paddling back in closer to shore, fishing with bait and pulled in a squire.

Geoff paddled out after a couple of hours towing a lure. As soon as he got to me he got a hit on his lure and pulled in a nice 45cm snapper.

I watched a full rainbow over Mt Coolum and the whales frolicking, with a couple of snap offs on the reef but no fish to show.

Pulled in a cod but put him back. Geoff headed in about then and I fished for and hour or so still with nothing to show for the efforts.

Landing was easy, I'm getting better at judging the dumpers and back pedalling accordingly.

Waiting for the wind to drop for the next trip.
Cheers
Pete

Email from Geoff
:::::::::
Morning all,

What a great few days at Noosa. Obviously, I'm back in Gympie now as that forecast wind had arrived. Mon saw my first trip with Sunshiner and Maverick. Not a day for the fish but very enjoyable. My GPS mark for
JS [courtesy of a fishing publication], had me heading way south of S and M.

The wet/n/wild thing with the whales was a bonus, especially when M tried to park his yak on top of one.

The yakkas were a good test for my gear and good
bait. A very easy run to the sand and thanks, guys for a good start.

Tues, I spent the morning in the river trolling around. The Halco accounted for a nice estuary cod up towards the river mouth, then later a GT down past the NY@R club. At dusk I drove to the river mouth to see if there were any tailor around. After almost an hour, when I was just thinking of food, a 69cm flattie made himself my PB record.

Thanks to Peter for organising a Wed trip down to Pt Arkwright. A good carpark and access ramp made a good start. Mind you, my yak got awfully heavy after the tow back up the ramp.

There was a bommie showing on Peter's sounder and he'd hardly cleared the surf zone. I had a few pillies and yakka flesh plus a SP. A nice squire came aboard and I was getting used to using my sea anchor as well. I lost two lots of gear plus two more snags that I got away from. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared with more backup gear so I opted for the trolling trip out to see Peter and let him know I would work my way back in and call it quits.

It was there that the snapper hit the Halco and nobody could spoil my day from there on. In the photo, you'll see the gaff handle is exactly 50cm long so I'd put him at 59-60cms. Sorry Pete, beginners luck.

On the return trip around 300mts from the surf, I came onto a large school of activity. Not predator type activity, more like fish just schooling. I flung a Halco slug around and through to no avail, and even towed the Laser around but no luck. Pete, did you spot them on your return, I saw you in closer just before I left? Maybe some of the more experienced of you could
enlighten me.

Wed arvo I ducked into Davo's for some swivels and ran into Eyetag. After useful discussion with him, and earlier, Peter, I was probably fishing a bit
too heavy that morning. He also thought the school could have been Bonito.

Davo's "daily catch" board said snapper to 5kgs at DI from a yak. Eyetag didn't know the name of the angler, but we both agreed that a trip there has got to be on the agenda.

As I said, a great few days, I learnt heaps, and am even more hooked than before.
Later
Geoff
Callsign JaG ONE

No comments:

Post a Comment