Fish 3, WB 1, 09Mar10

From: "madcowes"
Subject: Fishing Today 9 Mar 2010 - Fish 3 - Brian 1
Date: Tuesday, 9 March 2010 6:24 PM

Launched at MG approx 6am accompanied by dr Dog. Not a bird in sight and dirty brown water everywhere. I had already decided to head to sunshine reef where I hoped the water would be a bit clearer.

A couple of large solitary tuna free jumping gave us some encouragement as there were only few scattered birds on our way out. Once we passed the headland of the NP Dr dog spied a small bust up 500mtrs ahead, so we agreed to head over for a closer look.

I fired off my first cast and it was absolutely nailed by what I initially called for a mac tuna, but after 10 minutes of spirited battle I was starting to have second thoughts. Dr Dog by this stage seemed to be a fair way away, I glanced down at my GPS
and noticed that I was doing about 4-5kph towards double island point with the fish still taking drag!

It was at this point I realised that even though I had 15kg braid and 15kg mono leader my little 3-6kg rod was going to be a problem. Several times I managed to catch up to the fish and it was directly underneath me but any line I gained back was quickly lost again as the fish headed straight down to the bottom. By this stage I had been towed approximately 1.5 kms out to sea from my starting point and was in 38mtrs of water. After
a 20 minute battle eventually the hooks pulled, although I never saw the fish I’m pretty confident
that it was not mac tuna and probably a longtail.

A quick rendezvous with Dr dog who’'d also hooked up and unfortunately had the hooks pull also. I decided that seeing we were out so far I was going to head over a check out a mark in my GPS, seeing nothing spectacular on the bottom I started to head back inshore to the close in sunshine reef marks.

I must have paddled 10 strokes, when my trolling outfit went screaming off into the distance, in a typical spaniard run. After a short tussle I secured my fish and got a couple of photos courtesy of dr dog (thanks mate).



Forgot to measure the fish but weighed in at 11.4kg – taken on a trolled slimy.

The rest of the trip was highly eventful for me: 2 more massive strikes, both on a trolled slimy.

1st fish pulled the hooks after 5 minutes. 2nd fish stripped about 200mtrs of line in no time at all at was towing me towards coolum at 6 – 6.5kms ph according to my GPS. This also ended in tears when my line parted company at the trace. I suspect the previous
fight had damaged my braid.

It was a day of what could have been. All my strikes were out a lot deeper than we normally fish 35+ meters of water, and approx 1 –to 1.5 kms out from our widest SR reef marks.

We managed just under 19kms today & I am completely knackered and have very sore arms.

Go get em tomorrow!

Cheers Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment