All quiet, 10Mar10

From: "Jim Thompson"
Subject: Yak Fishing Report - Wed 10 Mar '10
Date: Wednesday, 10 March 2010 3:56 PM

Hi Yakkers,

Nothing to report other than weather, launch and sea conditions - no fish, so stop reading now if you don't want to read the details.

I was the only yakker in the car park at 0530 (only a few spare car parks due to about 30 kids doing surf swim training). The launch was okay but made a bit tricky by having to negotiate between some large in-coming sets. Once set up I headed for North Sunshine Reef where Whalebait and Dr Dog had had some success yesterday, also the water was likely to be clearer there than in the confines of the bay and anywhere near the river mouth. The sky was mostly overcast with a light 5-10k NW breeze and a moderate 2.5m swell which became more like 5m around the shallower areas off Dolphin Point, Fairy Pools and along the rock wall out to Hells Gates.

I trolled a HB lure out to just north of Hells Gates (no strikes) then switched to a slimey mounted on a Spaniard Special which I then trolled extensively over a number of our known NSR marks without a touch. I also did a bit of bottom fishing with soft plastics at a couple of these marks, also without a touch. Although the water was surprisingly clear, there was a very strong ESE current running, which, together with the NW breeze meant I was scooting along at up to 2.5kph when drifting. Only on one occasion did I come close to some bird/surface bust ups (I think Mac tuna), but they quickly dissipated when I got within casting range.

So, having paddled and drifted for 6-7 km all over NSR without success, at 0900 I decided to head for home thinking I had suffered the curse of the NW wind theory. I again swapped back to a HB lure (Halco Laser Pro) at Hells Gates for the major part of the ~6km paddle back to MG. With the sun now out the water clarity was much more definitive. At Dolphin Point I crossed a distinctive transition between the quite clear blue ocean water and the tannin stained brown waters of the bay. The abrupt transition, marked by a line of foam, snaked as far as the eye could see to the north from Dolphin Point.

I landed back on the beach at MG ~1020 after successfully negotiating the still sizeable swells and logged off with Noosa Coast Guard (had logged on as I had been out by myself .... or so I thought). I discovered another set of kayak wheels I did not readily recognize below the Life Guard's tower, and then wondered who else had been out this morning. I guessed it must be one of the NYs without a radio, otherwise I would have received a call .... maybe Wayne B or Stu D? Did any other NY go out this morning? Let us know if you had any better luck than me.

Cheers,
Jimbo

No comments:

Post a Comment