SR and JS, 12Dec09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 12dec09
Date: Saturday, 12 December 2009 2:54 PM

Jaro had called the usual early start for this morning and initially it was only he and I who were going, as I understood. The weather forecast was for perfect paddling conditions so I was up at 0400 to find that there was no breeze and a decent overcast.

By 0425 I was pulling into the carpark where I could see two other yaks being set up, and both Jaro's and whalebait's cars, already yakless and locked. I strolled over to the other guys, who initially, in the half light, I didn't recognize. These two turned out to be Scott, from Brisbane, who recently bagged out on snapper at Jew Shoal on his first Noosa Yakkers trip, and his mate Rod.

Having quickly said hello to Rod and Scott and briefly discussed the possibility of a current at Sunshine Reef, our intended destination, I shuffled down to the beach and found great launch conditions with Jaro and whalebait "out the back" setting up.

Light levels were still very low when I came to launch a few minutes later so there's no customary launch photo. Jaro and wb were almost ready to set out for SR by the time I paddled out to them so I sent them on their way, but not before wb told me that Doug had also launched in the corner at Main Beach and would see us out there. So already there were six of us.

Whalebait headed off and soon afterward Rod and Scott launched and paddled out, fully rigged up already. I took my time and shortly heard the radio blare. It was Jaro telling me that wb had already hooked up, just near the shark net. Then a couple of minutes later "It's a shark". Brian had then to spend some time re-rigging and tidying up while Jaro, Rod and Scott paddled off. By the time I'd caught up with wb Jaro had announced a "massive" strike and a lost lure, even though it was rigged with wire. WB and I now set off together and a couple of minutes later I saw his trolled outfit go off accompanied by a fair bit of splashing behind his yak. He'd hooked a small school mackerel. Out came the camera...

School mackerel, released. (size limit: 50cm -- it was close).

While thus engrossed, doctor dog came up on the radio and announced that he was launching to join us. WB's fish was the final interruption as we left the bay. By now, Jaro, Rod and Scott were a long way ahead, with Jaro obviously opting to head toward the wider mark. WB and I agreed that we'd head for the close-in mark first and so were skirting the edge of Hells Gates when I noticed that we were really scooting along despite the chop which always exists in that area. I was doing 7kph with the sort of effort which would usually produce only about 4-5kph. I immediately suspected a strong current, which later proved to be correct.

Just as we swept past the final headland I spotted a lone kayaker to the south about 500m away. This turned out to be Doug, in his blue and white Swing. He gradually closed with us and related that he'd had a double strike and lost one fish and lure, but had boated the other, a very nice spotted mackerel. This fish later measured 94cm, so it was a very good specimen. Well done Doug.

So now the three of us pulled up at our usual "in close" spot, which has proven remarkably productive over the last few months. Very quickly we discovered that the current was running at around 2.4kph toward the SE. There being no breeze to speak of, the drift was very fishable and would have been ideal, except that for every 30 minutes spent on the drift we were being swept over a kilometre away from home. This greater distance problem was exacerbated by the fact that our effective speed toward home would then be reduced by 2.4kph. But there were baitfish appearing on the sounder, down deep, as well as small mac tuna busting out all around. So I settled for one drift for 20 minutes or so during which none of us got a hit at all. By now, of course, we'd travelled nearly a kilometre toward New Zealand. I turned around and headed back, into the current.

At this time we spotted a patch of fluttering terns a few hundred metres away so we thought we'd go and take a closer look, hoping that spotty macs might be the reason for the excitement. The predators turned out to be small mac tuna, systematically chopping their way through the terrified bait schools. I'd earlier tied a "slug" onto my casting outfit so now got the opportunity to use it, as one small school burst into action within casting range. One cast and three turns of the handle was all it took. A short, vigorous tussle ensued but soon a small mac tuna was brought to the yak.

Mackerel tuna, about 50cm. Released.

There seemed to be no other predators around so I was now starting to think about getting out of the current. Doctor dog had now joined us but pretty soon we four decided to head for Jew Shoal. Jaro was reporting no significant action at his location, other than many of his large-mouthed bony friends, the grinner, so there seemed little point in travelling out to there, and besides, there might be a pack of spotty macs waiting to be encountered on the way. A quick consultation of the GPS revealed that Jew Shoal was now 4km away and getting further away by the minute, so off we went, after telling Jaro of our intentions. On the way, wb had a change of heart and opted to work over the close-in mark and Doug opted to continue on to the beach, as he already had a nice fish in the bag. So doctor dog and I headed for Jew Shoal.

On the way there, or soon after our arrival, Jaro reported the capture of a small sweetlip and a small snapper, both released, while wb told us he'd caught and released a small but keeper sweetlip. As I approached JS I could see that the mac tuna were very busy, hammering the baitfish which habitually try to shelter thereabouts. Soon there was more evidence of predators. My trolling outfit (medium sized deeprunning hardbody lure) went off with a howl. That's more like it, I thought. But it was not to be, the hooks pulled very soon after the first quick run. Probably a small mac tuna, I think. Noting that the current was much reduced here I opted to head for the western edge of the shoal and drift with the current, and against the light breeze, now steady from the SE at about 5 knots. Doc and I were able to cast out our SPs and drift across the shoal without retrieving and recasting. Despite lots of packed baitfish showing on the sounder in the bottom 10m of water, there were no strikes. By now we were starting to think of heading home so I tossed my SP out for a final time, leaving the rod in the holder, while I changed lures on my trolling outfit.

A deep bend in the casting outfit got my attention briefly and this fish turned out to be a pretty little wire-netting cod...

Wire-netting cod. Released, good eating but min size limit 38cm.

With that I doc and I turned for home, he prospecting the western side of the bay and I prospecting the eastern side, on the way back. There were many small mac tuna or perhaps bonito working the bait schools off the Tea Tree Bay area. A troll through the area by me elicited no strikes, however.

As I approached the beach I noticed that Scott and Rod had now safely returned. I'd been concerned about them as we were unable to contact them and last I'd seen of them was on the eastern horizon of Sunshine Reef, being propelled out to sea by the current. They apparently had a very good paddle training day, but caught no fish.

The beach return was easy and I got into the water to take a few pics of my companions now returning after me.



It's interesting to compare the hull shapes/waterline profiles in the above three pics.

On the beach, Jaro related the sad tale of the one that got away. It had taken a trolled lure in the bay on the way back from SR. Jaro thought it was possibly a decent sized mackerel but unfortunately couldn't identify it before the hooks pulled just under the yak after a decent fight.

So, a very quiet day and a good paddle. I'd done 19.1km not including the distance to and from the shark net, about another km. But the spotties are around, as proven by Doug. So Jaro and I intend to have a go at them tomorrow in Laguna Bay, possibly working east to west, finishing up near LH Reef. In fact, it could be an exhausting week, judging by Seabreeze.

Thanks for organising, Jaro, and for turning up, yakkers. A special welcome to Rod, who has expressed a desire to become a Noosa Yakker (Brisbane Chapter). All we need is Rod's email address, Scott. And again, well done Doug on the capture of a very nice spotty mac. Man they're delicious on the barbie. Hopefully the rest of us will get some very soon.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment