Spaniard again, LB, 14Dec09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 14dec09... another spaniard, plus...
Date: Monday, 14 December 2009 1:45 PM

Despite the fact that Jaro and I had agreed that today we'd start at 0545 instead of the usual 0415, I was wide awake well before 0500. So that placed me well to take time to rig up my yak (had been partying the night before from 1630 till ???), have brekky and be down at MG carpark by about 0530. There I found that doctor dog's car was in its usual place, sans yak (obviously already out there), and that Tony Walmsley, a relatively new Noosa Yakker, had been tempted from his bed with the prospect of a spaniard. And, of course, Ian's Subaru was in its customary spot, as he told us that he would be leaving about 0400.

I chatted briefly with Tony during which time Jaro turned up so the crew had already assembled. If anything, the weather was better than yesterday, mainly in that it was more overcast. Wind was negligible, as was the swell. This was a day you could launch in a baby bath (which we must try, sometime).

0544hrs. Jaro launching, keeping a close eye out for big waves...

Just before launching I'd contacted doctor dog by radio and was informed that he had Doug with him and that Doug had been dicing with sharks, tempting them with pilchard baits, and had released them all. They were both drifting off the National Park car park and had no other reports of action.

I launched after Jaro, and we spent a little time discussing tactics (stay in the bay today) before we parted company as Jaro started to troll his new favourite lure around the western end of the shark net and then along the northern side. I'd just finished my setting up and was about to start my troll when the radio blared. "Kev, I've got one, I've got one!" -- from Jaro. It was barely 0600 and Jaro had trolled gently toward two drifting power boats on the northern side of the net, hooking up almost immediately. Having missed out on an action photo of Jaro's spaniard yesterday, I immediately paddled over to him, directly on the other side of the net and got ready to shoot some pics.

How's this, a few minutes after starting? Jaro's second spaniard, on the day after his first.

This out of the way, we both thought it would be on for young and old, as there were heaps of baitfish hanging around being harried by small bonito and small mac tuna, as per previous days. We trolled around for a bit then opted to head toward the river mouth where some power boats could be seen drifting. As we approached their vicinity we could see flocks of terns having breakfast at the fresh food outlet. Hopefully, there'd be some bigger piscatorial feeders as well. If there were, we couldn't raise them. It was here that we came across Ian, heading back in from the vicinity of LH Reef. He reported no big fish but he had boated, and kept for bait, a couple of mac tuna. As he was heading back toward the MG shark net I paddled along with him knowing that there's always a fair chance that Ian will catch a fish and hoping that some of that magic might rub off on me. Sure enough, before long he got a strike on his trolled lure. This turned out to be a small cobia (undersize) which released itself next to the yak. So, there were cobia around? I mentioned to Ian that almost exactly one year ago today I'd caught two ~1m cobia within a few days of each other close to the shark net.

Now there were four of us (Ian, Tony, Jaro and I) trolling around the SE corner of Laguna Bay, and shortly we were joined by doctor dog. Conditions continued to be excellent. I took a couple of quick pics to illustrate.

0738hrs. That second building from the left is the Noosa Heads Surf Club.

It was about now that, as I paddled around this part of the bay, I came across what I believe to be a cobia, just lounging along on the surface. I fired a quick cast over it but it spooked and took off hurriedly. The trolling continued, then doctor dog called our attention, by radio, to a part of the shark net where the floats had sunk. I paddled over, curious to see what was there. Drifting near the net was a very large longtail tuna which doc soon dragged into his yak.

Longtail tuna, estimated at 15kg and perhaps 1.3m long. Found dead and returned to the sea.

But even more interesting was the animal caught in the net.

A hammerhead shark, approx 3m long (length estimated using distance between floats as a guide). The large fin at top left is the dorsal fin which is very big in hammerheads.

Tony came over to take a look and I snapped a pic of him for the record -- on his first Noosa Yakkers expedition.

Tony, in his Emotion, at the shark net

By now we were getting a little weary, or at least I was; Jaro was still pumped up after his second spaniard in two days. But at last we agreed we'd go in, around 0915. But not before Jaro scored again...

0847hrs. Jaro poses with his school (or doggie) mackerel for ID purposes. This one was legal at 56cm, and very good eating.

Soon we were headed for the beach and so, coincidentally was Ian, who, it later transpired, had been out for a paddle again to LH Reef which is why we hadn't seen him for an hour or more. We all arrived on the beach over a period of about 15 minutes.

Jaro's catch. The spaniard went 87cm.

The chick magnetism still works. She was not unkeen to be photographed with the fish.

Discussing mackerel techniques, Ian, doctor dog, Tony, Jaro.

Ian casually mentioned that he'd hooked a 1.2m spaniard on the way back from LH Reef but the hooks pulled moments before the gaff hit its target. I caught nothing at all, but I did get some nice pics.

Thanks for coming along, guys and thanks for organising, Jaro. I'm taking a break tomorrow but Wednesday may be worth a look as it'll be reasonably sheltered in the bay.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment