Snapper aplenty, 15Nov07

Subject: 15nov07 -- how'd we go with our fishing trip? Read on!
Date: Thursday, 15 November 2007 1:56 PM

G'day gang

With aching arms I type this report...

Mal, Jim, Jaro and I fronted this morning at 6. We opted to launch on the eastern side of the groyne as the waves were still quite uppity on the western side. There was a bit of fun going out with yours truly timing his departure to meet the biggest nastiest dumping wave of the morning. I hit it paddling as fast as I could, using appropriate words which I hoped would assist, aiming to punch through, but alas, my body got in the way. When I opened my eyes the yak was still the right way up and I was on it but we were surfing backwards. This didn't last long as I soon performed a "deliberate" beautiful reverse broach and went for a swim in the balmy waters of Laguna Bay. No harm was done, and I was soon back on and into the fray once more, this time successfully joining my rudely grinning companions 'out the back'.

It was a fairly hard slog out as we were punching into a NE breeze and chop on top of a 1.5m swell, but we made it out to our planned destination in about 40min and started fishing at about 0715.




While there was quite a bit of action from small reefies, snapper were not on the chew and by 0830 I was beginning to wonder if all of the snapper had left when suddenly we started catching them. Between 0830 and 0930 the three of us left there (for Mal had departed -- more about him later) boated 7 snapper, two of them around 50cm.



Mal has revealed that he became sea sick, and having vomited on his one and only keeper snapper, headed for home. Presumably this fish was washed before being stowed, Mal, or was it released to tell an unbelieveable story to his finny mates?

We departed the reef about 0945, with Jaro and I both getting strikes, but no solid hook ups, on our trolled lures before we'd cleared the reef.



I wouldn't say our return through the surf was uneventful (in fact, at one stage I couldn't believe I was still the right way up after the sand monster reared up and tried to bite me), but we all managed to land with dignity intact and were met by the usual envious stares and copious questions as we swaggered down to the water's edge to clean our fish.

Oh and why are my arms aching? -- from all the paddling of course...



Kev
Red & Yellow Espri with fish scales on it

No comments:

Post a Comment