sweetlip, snapper, 01Nov07

Subject: noosa yakkers 01Nov07
Date: Thursday, 1 November 2007 1:03 PM

It's a while since I've been rolled going out and coming in but I managed it today. In retrospect I think the swell and tide combination were in the no-go class, so that's been tucked away for future reference.

Once out the back, conditions were very nice, with very little breeze. Jaro, Harvey and I set out for JS with snapper in mind. Just as we got to the centre, my trolled lure (deep running hard plastic) went off. I felt the surge of a powerful fish and also felt the line grating over the reef which is quite shallow (10-15m) just there. "Pop!" went the line and that was that. Possibly a yellowtail kingfish...

We started drift fishing for snapper but things were initially very quiet. Although there was little if any breeze, I found we were moving quite rapidly over the reef -- clearly there was a quite strong current from the north/north west. Then, at last, I hooked up when the jig was at its greatest depth. After a short tussle up came a beautiful grass sweetlip (see pic, immediately after capture, in yak), my biggest of this species so far.


It took a while to get the next hit, clearly a snapper, as the jig was taken within a few seconds of hitting the water. The hook pulled out and on close examination of the jig I noticed that the hook bend was slightly distorted -- so that was the cause of a lost snapper.

Jaro, meanwhile was having some success, having hooked two snapper in two casts -- the first was undersized and released, the second threw the hook. He persisted however and boated two keepers, a nice snapper and an even nicer sweetlip, albeit somewhat smaller than mine.

Just as I'd dismantled my gear in preparation for departure from JS (and transiting through the surf zone) I glanced down and could clearly see a school of snapper drifting past. So there are plenty out there.

Harv, by the way, quit early, fishless, on account of illness. I've just spoken to him and he attributes his illness to brain overheating on account of wearing a surf ski helmet, which he was.

Another great fishing trip. Thanks for organizing, Jaro.

Oh, and by the way, we bumped into Mike Gnezdiloff on the beach -- he took the photo of the two wet kayakers and their catch.


Kev
Red & Yellow Espri

No comments:

Post a Comment