Recce patrol, 12Feb14

TR by sunshiner

Wind: 5-10 knots SE at Jew Shoal, light inside the bay
Swell: one metre E
Water temp: 26°C
Current: none detected
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: weeksie, pedro, sunshiner
Keen Angler Program: Nothing contributed today

Now that the wind gods have had their 18-day party perhaps some sanity will prevail. It was nice to see some green arrows for a change and today the forecast was spot on. Here's hoping that Friday's forecast holds.

The sand monster was elsewhere or asleep today, a one metre easterly swell producing only occasional white water at the end of the launch channel. Certainly I dry-bummed it at launch time this morning, around 05:00, and I heard no complaints from my companions who launched somewhat earlier. I noted that there was enough light to have launched a little earlier which I reckon I will on Friday, even though the days are getting shorter. The water at Middle Groyne continues to be crystal clear in this wet season that isn't, so far. Two or three flying fish showed themselves as soon as I emerged from the shadow of the groyne. This is usually a good indicator of high water temperatures so I was happy to see them. These were around 75mm long, larger than the tiny specimens often encountered in summer here. Even in the low ambient light I could clearly see them getting speed up with their enlarged lower lobe tail fins, becoming totally airborne and cruising for ten or so metres just above the surface before splashing down again. No predators hassling them, however.

My radio check request was answered by pedro who was approaching Jew Shoal, no action to report. I could see weeksie not far ahead and he was headed in the same direction so I opted to head there too.

Trolled my HLP which has already accounted for at least three Spanish, a schoolie and a YFT this season but it was untouched when the warning call came from pedro that there were birds working at the NW corner of the shoal. I thanked him and altered course to port slightly, with still 1.5 km to go. Then a bustup in front of me, with no accompanying terns. At first only splashes then the unmistakeable profiles of leaping tuna, fat but not huge. I kept paddling steadily toward them and then could clearly see they were yellowfin, with their huge pectoral fins looking like a dark stripe along their bronze flanks. Pedro was trolling in from the other side and I decided I had plenty of time so retrieved the trolling line before chucking a slug. Picked up the slug rod -- too late, they're done, leaving only swirls behind as they headed for the next patch of bait, somewhere near NZ. A few casts without result confirmed their departure. Ah well, Mary did say to bring no fish home.

So we three trolled and trolled waiting for the next bustup which didn't happen. Pedro was trolling dead garfish and had two strikes which removed the gar but didn't hookup. Bummer, pedro really wants a pedro this season and deserves one.

Knowing that a snapper or sweetie wouldn't be knocked back at home I tried an SP for a while for nix, although I did get one heavy bump in 21m without a hookup. Still no more bustups, except for one small brief show near The Pinnacles, reported by weeksie. Perhaps the longtoms I saw hanging around there, and having a go at my SP were responsible for the splashing.

By 08:30 we're all back on the beach at Middle Groyne, fishless. Nice day and again no sand monster. Maybe Friday?

Kev Long
Sunshiner
Author Kayak Fishing Manual for iPad and Mac (click linked text to view)
Stealth Supalite X, yellow/orange

No comments:

Post a Comment