Touch the bottom, 12Jan14


TR by Gemini

Participants:  Gemini & parents
Launch Site: Strawberry Patch, Lake MacDonald
Conditions: Fine. Light breeze, but building throughout the morning


Seeing the only opportunity weather wise for a paddle in the coming week, my parents and I decided to have a quick splash about on Lake MacDonald. We started out late in the morning around 7:30, so my fishing spirit was none too optimistic, but Dad and I took the rods for a spin anyway. I was also giving a loaned Stealth kayak a test for the first time after two previous false starts.

The water level at the Strawberry Patch launch is currently very low. What's left of the old Noosa-Cooroy road bridge is clearly visible, and the road itself is now breaching the surface in spots, creating a peak so shallow you have to walk your yak across it. No boat is getting through there in a hurry, that's for sure. On the plus side, if you want freshwater mussels, now is the time to go wading...

We made out way around to the Palm Farm slowly, and the wind had picked up enough that it blew us most of the way. I was checking out the bottom more than I was fishing, as the structure is clearly visible at the moment. It's always good to see what's down there. It wasn't until we had turned around to come back that I had the first strike of the day, but not long into the fight he spat the hook and disapeared. Bugger.

Close to Toga Bay I took another hit, but this one stuck. He was a nice little fighter, and he shot off like a rocket when he saw the yak. A few moments later he was in the net and measured at 38cm.




Asides from the bass and a few dirty looks from a group of pelicans, we had an uneventful trip back in.

Matt (Gemini)

No comments:

Post a Comment