Pretty Big Cod, 16Jul13


TR by Pedro
Wind: SSW to S 10 to15 knots
Swell: 1m SE
Current: None detected
Launch Point: Middle Groyne
Participants: Pedro

I launched at 5.45am and had to be patient as it was low tide and the sand monster was awake. The swell was constant and with the waves breaking every 10 to 15 seconds so I positioned myself close to the sand bar and punched through white water for a good five minutes before picking a small lull and making it out the back first try.

I headed for Granite Bay to try my luck with garfish. With the overcast sky and SW wind it was bloody cold. With no gar caught after half an hour I packed up and headed for JS as around the corner towards SR it looked too windy. I copped a lovely shower of rain on the way and wished I'd brought my jacket. I was glad I came though as before my eyes an awesome rainbow appeared.

 photo IMGP0219_zps1f8d6c32.jpeg

I thought to myself maybe my luck will change, and it wasn't long before I hooked up, and ten minutes later landed a nice gold spot cod.

I hung around for another half an hour landing a 45cm snapper before heading in. The tide was in, making the waves less powerful resulting in an upright landing.

 photo IMGP0221_zps73b2a94d.jpeg

The cod measured 96cm and weighed 14.5kg.


Cheers
Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment