June Jacks, 08Jun13

TR by Eyetag
Wind:10+ knots S
Current:Strong run out tide
Weather:Odd shower then rain


With the tides being good for a late session on the sand flats, I made a late call and packed my gear ready for a river session. I checked the radar for rain on the internet and it looked like there was a good clear patch approaching so I decided to go for it.

Launching 10.30pm from Noosa Heads Lions Park I headed around through the Woods Bays trolling a Gold Bomber and didn't get a touch until I hit the current line out from Rickys. It was the dreaded Hairtail.

I trolled this area for the next 30 minutes hoping for some Trevally but I got another 4 Hairtail. Not very pleased with my results I moved West onto the sand flats where I could hear the sweet sound of fish feeding on the surface and they were everywhere.

First drift, I cast a Gladiator Prawn on the alb outfit, slow rolled it across the bottom and after a few touches I hooked and landed a small Big Eye Trevally. The current was running quite quickly so I had to paddle back up to my start point before my second attempt. This was another successful drift with another small Big Eye. The flats were alive with mostly small Big Eye and they were coming in every cast. This process of catching a Big Eye then paddle back went on for an hour or two. Hoping there might be some bigger fish around, I decided to go a bit further on my next return paddle. Now I was in about a foot of water. I put out another cast started the retrieve and hooked up shortly after to something that didn't feel like a Trevally a couple of minutes later I landed a nice Whiting.

Hoping for more of this, I paddled back repeated the process only this time I was hooked up to a nicer fish. I was having a bit of trouble on the light gear so I had to paddle one handed across the current to calmer water so I didn't end up down near the river mouth. Eventually I landed a nice Jack, STOKED.

Again I returned put out a cast that was slammed with the process of paddling single handed across current had to be repeated and after another 10 minute battle I had a second Jack on board. I stowed him and on my return I could hear this noise that I couldn't make out then the all lights were fading and I realised it was rain, heavy rain. I put my head down and headed for home.

When I was safely back in the Woods Bay I trolled the Bomber back and managed to cross paths with another Hairtail. After this I paddled the rest of the way back without a lure out returning around 2pm wet but very satisfied.

 photo IMGP0850_zpsc811928b.jpg

Two Jacks above

 photo IMGP0854_zps6a2049b1.jpg

Whiting and BigEye Trevally


Cheers, Eyetag.

2 comments:

  1. Well done - very nearly went for a night fish on the river myself. After your reports I think this is definitely worth a try. Your last night river outing also really rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great result ! Just wondering why you don't keep the hairtail? When I lived in Sydney, the fishing would be shoulder to shoulder when the hairtail were 'on' in places like Coal & Candle Creek in the Hawkesbury river system. They would put up a great fight and it wasn't unusual see fish up to 6ft on any given winter night. I found them very easy to clean & fillet (just watch out for the teeth !) and the flesh to have a consistency fairly similar to bream - a six foot bream that is :) They freeze not to bad for short periods if you leave the skin on & definately taste better with the skin removed, and like most fish are best eaten fresh... anyway that's just my 2 cents... If you haven't already - give them a try ...

    http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-hairtail.php

    Cheers, Gwicko

    ReplyDelete