Albany salmon, doc dog, 18Mar12

TR by doctor dog (visiting Albany, WA)

Hi All,

Well Albany really turned on a spectacular autumn day for everyone today. Jane had to work so I took the opportunity to head out for a paddle. I wasn't expecting to catch anything as the reports locally have been a bit dismal so to come home with my first Australian Salmon over 400 mm was a bonus.

Beautiful conditions for a late launch -- 9.30 at Emu point looking out into Oyster Harbour. Might have missed the fish but the forecast was for strong winds?

I headed out from Emu Point against a flooding tide and soon was heading into King George harbour heading east into the anticipated breeze -- which did not eventuate until I made it to Gull Rock. I was trolling a small hard bodied lure but had to retrieve it every few minutes as there was a lot of weed suspended in the water column.

So where is the 15 knots northerly? View looking to Middleton beach. Frenchman's and the old whaling station in the distance at the extreme left of picture.

No sign of fish but the mutton birds made such a nuisance of themselves attacking my trolled lures I had to pull them in and just paddle for the last km or so out to Gull. At Gull I stopped for a brief snorkel and a bite to eat.

Coal Basket Bay -- rest stop half way.

Beach near Gull Rock looking back to Middleton Beach with Mt Martin in centre of picture.

I had an easy paddle home with the sea breeze behind me and 2.5 km from home this little salmon took a liking to my "Happy Jack" xmas lure.

My only hit for the day -- fiesty 440 mm of Australian Salmon.

Handsome fish -- dinner for 2.

I had better hit send and go and prepare dinner...

Cheers,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment