jaro and whales at JS, 01Oct09

From: "Jaro Cerny"
Subject: Fishing Today 1/10/2009
Date: Thursday, 1 October 2009 3:17 PM

Hi Yakkers,

I was the only one to venture out today. Started by going to SB (Doggy Beach) and found that it would be too daunting when coming in with the tide out so headed for MG and found it to be flat calm. I only got my feet wet and didn't even bother to take my hearing aids off.

A beautiful morning with flat calm conditions

I decided to go to JS as I was still a bit weary from yesterday plus I thought it good to check it out once in a while to see if the snapper had returned. I left MG at 5.40am and the trip out was uneventful.

I started around 'Old Faithful" drifting in a north easterly direction at 6.20am. I was fishing with no action for about an hour when I was shocked out of my trance on suddenly hearing loud whacking behind me. On looking behind me I could see two humpbacks less than 100 metres away and heading in my direction so I immediately pulled up all lines and drogue and turned to face them. I could see they were going to miss me so I sat back and watched a wonderful display of fin flapping as shown by the following photos.



And the piƩce de resistance below

Of course these photos have been greatly reduced in size. The originals on the large screen are just fantastic in their size and clarity.

Once the display was over I started to concentrate on fishing and came across a promising area as shown by my fishfinder not recorded on any of my JS marks. It looked promising as the underwater terrain was very irregular and more importantly there was a lot of fish showing on the screen. So I marked the spot and started fishing with immediate results. I caught two maori cod of good size but still undersize and therefore released.

One of the three maori cod caught

As the area seemed well defined and quite small in area I retraced my steps often.

edited by kl, material removed ...

I saw a large school of fish on the viewer so I pulled up my casting rod line with plastic through the school and bingo, got a strike. After a little fight I landed a smallish mac tuna which I released.
I also caught an undersize sweet lip and other varieties of cod. The fish stopped biting at about 8.45am and I pulled the pin at 10.00am for a trouble free paddle home.

The idyllic scene just before returning back to MG

All in all a very enjoyable day out but there are no snapper at JS as yet (or they were not biting my lures).

Jaro
Noosa Yakkers Coordinator
Viking Pro Fish 45
Call Sign Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment