big stripey, JS, 20Jul09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 20jul09
Date: Monday, 20 July 2009 5:59 PM

The forecast being excellent for offshore fishing, I went again today, accompanied by Jim and madcow (Brian).

We assembled at the usual place a little earlier, meeting at 0615, trying not to disturb the occupants of a Winnebago who had unwisely parked overnight in the closest car park to the beach, where we usually park our yak carriers in our dawn forays.

The sea was flat, as yesterday, and the launch was totally dry -- pleasant on a mid-winter morning.

0633. My companions on the beach before launch.

0636. The sun was waiting to greet us as we peeped around the edge of the rock wall.

Pretty soon we were all ready to go and off we went for Jew Shoal, helped by a gentle southerly breeze which gradually increased in strength as we penetrated the open bay and fell outside of the shelter of the headland. In fact, by the time we got out to the shoal the breeze was pretty stiff, sufficient to produce the occasional whitecap. This situation is less than ideal as it produces a faster drift and an occasional wet bum as white water slops into the yak. At this time of year this breeze is also quite cool early in the morning.

I targeted the area I'd fished with success the day before but the fish were not cooperating and before long I was thinking of heading back in. Jim and Brian had similar thoughts but we stuck it out for a while in the vain hope that the southerly might drop off. After several unsuccessful drifts through yesterday's hot area I allowed the yak to be pushed further north with the breeze on the basis that the only harm it would do would be that it would take me a little further from home and thus increase the distance to paddle. I'd made up my mind to turn and go and had "one more cast", one of several that I'd had when I got a hit and hookup of something which felt unfamiliar. Up popped a flathead, and as a bar tail model, a keeper at around 40cm.

0900. Bar-tailed flathead taken in 20 metres depth. Exceptional as a table fish, so kept.

Despite this catch I opted to turn for home but before I could actually get completely away Jim called me on the radio and announced he'd caught a fish he didn't recognize. I had the time to spare so I paddled over to take a look and a pic, if appropriate. Jim held up a fish I recognized immediately but had never seen at Noosa.

0930. Jim with very solid striped sea perch or stripey (Lutjanus carponotatus). These fish are common on the coral reefs in the north of the State.

My fish guide book states that the stripey grows to 15 inches (ie 37.5 cm) but Jim's exceeded 40cm so is a whopper for the species. The legal length limit is 25cm.

Just before I took the above photo a whale breached spectacularly on the horizon, throwing up a huge splash. As conditions didn't look like improving I pulled the pin a short while later, with Jim having already decided to seek warmth and shelter in Tea Tree Bay before moving on to MG. Brian reckoned he had nothing much else to do and, being a recent arrival from Victoria, was not feeling the cold so he elected to stay a bit longer (please let us know how you went Brian). The paddle back warmed me up nicely and by the time we hit the beach (Jim and I went in at the same time) I was feeling cosy again.

Jim's stripey. Check out those teeth.

OK, when are we going next, Jaro?

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment